Hazelnut Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abrayton

Reaction score
I would like to add hazelnut flavor and aroma to a brown ale. I've found recipes that call for hazelnut extract. I would prefer not to use a bottled extract. What other options are available that anyone has had success with?
Cheers!

The major problem with making a nut flavor beer is that nuts contain oils and those same oils are known as head killers. When you extract the flavors from the nuts in your beer you cannot avoid getting these oils and they will kill the heading of the beer. That's why people use extracts for nut flavors instead of real nuts.

RM-MN gives good advice to avoid any oils that will be a nemesis to brewers. I was hesitant to use an "extract flavoring" knowing it may be likely to throw an artificial flavor into the beer.

I made a brown ale calling for hazelnut to be added at bottling or kegging. Actually, this was the first "extract" I felt was acceptable. Fruit extracts are generally detectable, but this hazelnut really surprised me. Take a look at the hazelnut extract from MoreBeer. There are other similar products I'm sure, just only used the one I mentioned.

Go easy and add small amounts a bit at a time til you strike the right note for your tastes. I added the full amount my recipe called for, but wished I had added less for a more subtle flavor.

Back