Helena Montana, nice place or ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thataintchicken

Reaction score
Looking at that part of the world as a possible destination for relocation.
I know that there are a couple of brewpubs and some homebrew stores --
there is a brewclub as well -- thought I saw that here on HBT.

Just wondering what kind of a place it is.
Cost of living, etc.

Cost of living is cheap (especially compared to SF I'm assuming). Nice small town, not a whole lot to do. Both breweries are decent and there is a decent homebrew shop that will be moving to Helena soon.

Good to know.
I'm thinking about applying for a job with a regional TV/Radio station group based out of there -- producing commercials and promotions for the station group. What I used to do before I went into restaurants.

The big city thing is starting to get to me. Not having a whole lot to do actually sounds fun in a way.

Yeah, I like that it's big enough to have some things, but not big enough to have to mess with the hassles of a real city. Let me know if you have any other questions. We have a pretty nice little club going, about 20 or so serious members with monthly meetings. We done a couple group brews to fill our club barrel and some other "projects".

Crap...another Californian moving to Montana;). Just kidding. Montana is a great place for freedom loving Americans. If you want to be deeply involved in the community you can. If you want to be a hermit and live in the woods no problem. If you want to run around with a cow pie on your head, no one will really cares. If you are a gun caring pickup loving redneck (me) you will find many friends, but there are also plenty of bleeding heart wine loving liberals if you are so inclined (guess I love stereotyping:). I have lived in many places and decided to come back to MT. We have everything all other places offer just on a smaller scale (few big name concerts, no professional sporting events, little public transportation, etc.). As for location Helena can't be beat. Mountains, lakes, skiing, hunting, fishing, only about 2 hours to four of the other bigger towns (Bozeman, Butte, Missoulia, Great Falls). Best of luck and let us know what you decide.

Crap...another Californian moving to Montana;)

hah.. originally from Oregon, I still have the webs between my fingers.
I do have an Aunt & Uncle in Plains, so that should also count in my favor.

no professional sporting events

You have minor league baseball and hockey -- I'll be fine.

As for location Helena can't be beat. Mountains, lakes, skiing, hunting, fishing, only about 2 hours to four of the other bigger towns (Bozeman, Butte, Missoulia, Great Falls). Best of luck and let us know what you decide.

Thanks for all of the info. Just looking at all the options out there, and a place to finally call home. I've been a Nomad too long.

You all should come down and visit my shop sometime. Smellysell is a frequent customer here. FYI We are holding a homebrew contest this Fall at Townsend's Fall Fest. Entries are due next Friday 9/30/11.

We cater mostly to the all grain brewers but we have a little bit of everything. We have almost 50 specialty grains here. I also try and keep a decent selection of hops.

You can check out our website for more info at http://www.mountbaldybrewing.com/zencart/ or the High Mountain Hoppers Web Forum at http://www.mountbaldybrewing.com/forum/.

Nice shameless plug...well it worked. I like your web page. I'll give you a try on my next brew (after fall farm work is done).

Better the Californian moving to MT than CO! i kid i kid....Did a big loop on the MC this summer stayed in Bozeman, Whitefish, Billings and Helena....awesome riding.....wound up hitting 12 MT breweries as well!

Did you do Beartooth Pass? One of the most beautiful drives anywhere.

/Threadjack

No, we went from Stugis to Bozeman to Whitefish, to Helena, to Billings, then back to Sturgis.

Next years trip is going to be a little different...basically Denver to Calgary to Sturgis to Denver, with a stop in Jackson WY and several different ones on MT.

I'm jealous. My wife and I would love to live near Helena but the whole job thing makes it hard.

Back