Hello From South East Louisiana

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bgdawg70

Reaction score
Hello everyone...Im a Cajun from way down the bayou (Lafourche Parish) and Im wanting to start brewing my own beer. I have never done this and not really sure where to start. Not sure if I should make my own brewing system or buy one of these fancy all in one brewing systems. Any words of advice would be greatly appreciated. If its best to build my own where can I find all the parts and devices I will need to do it right?

Thanks and
Laissez les bon temps rouler

Welcome to HBT.
Reading the on-line How to Brew would be a really good start. Then decide if you want to start with extract, all-grain, or partial mash. This will be based on your own preferences, brewing equipment budget, available brewing space, potential brewing area layout, and probably other factors. The simplest way to start is with extract, a 4 gallon brew kettle, a bucket fermenter (I'd say at least 6.5 gallons), a bottling bucket, and assorted small items. The other options require more equipment and are more involved, but you might choose to go that way. Ask question as you get more info. Good luck, and have fun. It's a great hobby - you end up with beer.

Welcome. Read up a bit. Then jump in. Doing a couple of kits will give you an idea of what’s going on. This is a good place to start.

Welcome.

I started out brewing 1 gal batches to get my feet wet. Made 3 extract batches then moved to 3 gal batches, now up to 5.
Get the book How to Brew by John Palmer. It's a great read.

I know you said you wanted to start with all grain. I do all grain but BIAB, meaning I mash and boil in my kettle as opposed to having a kettle and mash tun. You will also need a fermenter, temp control, etc.

As for as your equipment, it depends what your plans are. Since you never brewed, I suggest hooking up with someone, like at LA Home Brew to watch them brew. It will allow you to get your feet wet. You can always start with a 1 gal kit from one of the on line retailers, but I would think you will quickly outgrow that.

If I had to do all over again, I would have started brewing 3 or 5 gallons batches. With that, you would need at least a 10 gal pot plus a mash tun. You can check out Spike Brewing or SS Brew Tech for a kettle. There are others out there but those are probably two of the top. You will also need a fermenter, plastic, glass or stainless.

It basically all comes down to what you want to spend. I'm thinking about moving to electric but that will not be until sometime next year.
There are some nice electric systems out there, SS Brew Tech, Spike, High Gravity if you are looking for a turn key set up. If you have the knowledge to build your own controller, go for it. I don't so I would have to go the turn key route.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Back