Help Finishing Shoe Bench

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

applescrap

Be the ball!
Reaction score
We needed a shoe bench for a long time. I had been eyeing the scrap pile. Today just got after it. Used to starting with plans, better wood, etc..it had its challenges. Plus messed up kreg jig. Overall, clever, simple design but I should have cleated top, added top piece and then put face trim on.

Was looking at it and it needs the seams covered on top, and also stability. I dont want to remove face trim so do i run the top flush around perimeter and leave a seam where the bottom of top piece rests on face trim. Or maybe overhang the top? I need some help finishing, have some more trim. I think removing face trim, putting top on, then trimming would be ideal. Dont want to, but guess I could? Then ill paint and shellac? Thanks!
20191110_204318.jpeg
Screenshot_20191110-190516_Messages.jpeg

You were on a list of people I was going to pm! Thanks for chiming in. My wife liked the color black to for it. Make sense it's going to get dirty with shoes on it. Yeah thanks, I was having a hard time deciding whether to overlap all around or just front and sides. Also I was having a hard time coming up with overlap amount. A quarter inch seems good.
I'd put a nice hardwood top on that overhanging maybe 1/4 inch front and sides. Stain and poly that with high gloss polyurethane. High gloss paint the rest. I would go black - personal preference.

For the overlap I was thinking it would be against a wall. But there is probably baseboard that will keep it away from the wall a little so maybe all the way around would be good.

Put a padded top on it to give folks a place to sit while putting shoes on/taking shoes off.

Take a piece of 3/4” material, some foam, and enough fabric to cover. Easy to do and a nice way to finish off the bench.

Haha, excellent, you were on my list too! I am not sure I am following you a 100%. Should I make the padded seat then put it on? Thanks for your help

Put a padded top on it to give folks a place to sit while putting shoes on/taking shoes off.

Take a piece of 3/4” material, some foam, and enough fabric to cover. Easy to do and a nice way to finish off the bench.

Haha, excellent, you were on my list too! I am not sure I am following you a 100%. Should I make the padded seat then put it on? Thanks for your help
I would build the padded top, then attach it to the bench. Depending on how the bench is constructed, it might be easier to build the top with 1-2” overhang at the front and sides, to allow you to attach the top with small L-brackets. It looks like you don’t have a lot of room to work in the space between the top and the top shelf.

Haha, we have similar wives! Man you should see the closet. I built shoe racks, and there is a door hanging shoe thing and crates. But lol nothing to wear.
That might be enough for the wife’s shoes but what about you and the rest of the family?? [emoji12]

It’s looking good! [emoji482]

Back