Help me decide! Party Pigs vs. Mini Kegs...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StudentBrewer

Reaction score
I'm a noob who has brewed about 5 batches now (extract and specialty grains) and I'd love to get into kegging. However, I live in a smallish apartment and have limited space and funds (2nd year of doctorate program). I've been looking into party pigs and also the 5l party kegs. Or should I just forego these altogether and go with a 3 or 5 gallon corny system? I'd like to get some input on which is best. I've got a normal kitchen fridge as well as a half size beer fridge to work with (not much). Any opinions are greatly appreciated, thanks.

Brandon

Aren't those other kegs plastic?, I think cornelius kegs are the only way to go. they're stainless and strong. I've got dozens and never had a problem. Just change Orings occasionally.
RK

Does anyone know the dimensions of a 3 gallon corny? Trying to figure out if it'll fit in the beer fridge. Thanks

Brandon

I started with the 5L kegs (which are metal), but after two broken taps, I switched to cornies. The 5L look like they would be cheaper, but the tap systems for them are expensive. If space is a problem, I'd go with the party pigs. I may get a party pig for ... parties! Dragging a cornie and CO2 bottle is a bit heavy.

f1h63t.jpg
mini keg

The tap-a-draft system uses 6L PET plastic bottles and isn't subject to corrosion problems. They say you shouldn't go over 4 months in PET.

El Pistolero said:
Half way down the page on this link.
Hmmm, 100 bucks to go mini kegs and about $200 on ebay for the complete cornelius kit. Tough decision. Just how much of a hassle are the mini kegs? Is the main problem that the taps break? Does that cost money or beer? or both?

Great idea! I have two sprayers where the spray head is broken, maybe I'll try this. It can't be all that hard to clean the wasp killer out of them. I can recycle my broken sprayers and get rid of my annoying neighbors at the same time.

My personal opinion would be to go the standard route of corny kegs. In looking at that Mini Keg setup It looked as though it had that $19.95 mini CO2 attachment on it which you'll be replacing cartridges constantly.

You invest maybe $100 or so you can probably get a used 3g corny (bottle the other 2g), regulator and 5# CO2 tank. Use a picnic tap; they're $2.99 (+ dispensing line). At least this way you can baby step your way into better faucets, 5g corny's later. You decide you want to switch later after getting the mini-kegs they'll probably sit on a shelf somewhere and was $ wasted. The X factor is probably the fridge of course but I don't know the height of a 3g corny. Probably holds true with these mini kegs though too? No regulator required for temp control unles your doing a freezer conversion.

Back