Help with brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

João Machado

Reaction score
Hello, I have 20L of Bock beer fermenting, and it passed 2 days since I putted the wort with the yeast in the fementer bucket. The problem is: I think the fermentation began, but I have a problem...there's a leak...
I used hot glue and putted around the rubber and around the airlock, to assure that they are well sealed...then I putted a glass covering the airlock to see if there is still a leak, and it still haves a leak, because the glass smells like fermenting beer...

What do I do?!

You put a glass over the airlock ? Take it off if you did . That co2 is supposed to come out of the airlock . As for buckets , they tend to leak. You can use keg lube around the rim next time to help .

Can you post a pic of what you have ?

It's fine to have a leak. Really it is. The airlock serves two purposes, to leak out the excess CO2 and to entertain the brewer. If the excess CO2 gets out around the lid instead of through the airlock it will still make beer just the same but you will need to find some other entertainment.

I have some buckets that seal well and the airlock always bubbles, some that leak around the lid and the airlock never bubbles, and one that only has a tiny hole in the lid with a piece of plastic wrap taped over it. Every one of them makes beer.

I remember when I first started brewing . Total excitement waiting for the first bubbles to escape that airlock lol. I still enjoy watching an airlock somewhat , but love watching a blowout tube jar appear as if it's boiling. 😁

You put a glass over the airlock ? Take it off if you did . That co2 is supposed to come out of the airlock . As for buckets , they tend to leak. You can use keg lube around the rim next time to help .

Can you post a pic of what you have ?

Sure.
Keg lube?

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-01-01 at 18.27.11.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-01-01 at 18.27.11.jpeg
    95.2 KB · Views: 18
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-01-01 at 18.27.10.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-01-01 at 18.27.10.jpeg
    102.3 KB · Views: 19
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-01-01 at 18.27.11 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-01-01 at 18.27.11 (1).jpeg
    94.5 KB · Views: 19
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-01-01 at 18.27.11 (2).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-01-01 at 18.27.11 (2).jpeg
    85 KB · Views: 18
It's fine to have a leak. Really it is. The airlock serves two purposes, to leak out the excess CO2 and to entertain the brewer. If the excess CO2 gets out around the lid instead of through the airlock it will still make beer just the same but you will need to find some other entertainment.

I have some buckets that seal well and the airlock always bubbles, some that leak around the lid and the airlock never bubbles, and one that only has a tiny hole in the lid with a piece of plastic wrap taped over it. Every one of them makes beer.

Ok...see also the photos I send here...

If the lid leaks, no problem. There's positive pressure inside, pushing out the gap. Nothing is going to fly under the lid and into the bucket anyway. Your beer will be fine.

Ok...you're right...that seems right...thermodyamics ahah

Sure.
Keg lube?

You don't need a glass (or any other covering) over the airlock. The airlock does its job on its own. CO2 goes out, particles from the air do not go in.

Like I mentioned in your other thread, you can use a bit of keg lube around the grommet that holds the airlock in place, as those grommets sometimes leak. That, by itself, may or may not solve the leak issue. However, I would NOT recommend using lube on the rim of the bucket or inside the lid, as the amount of time you would have the bucket open can expose your beer to contaminants and oxidation.

Ride it out, things will be fine.

No...
That's what I'm saying...I used glue and it still leaks...the airlock ir receiving nothing...so it seems.

But you guys are saying it's fine...so I will believe.

Okay what they're saying is bucket lids tend to leak , and that's okay. Your airlock should have liquid in it. Star San and water is what I use . Should look like this

Attachments

• 20200104_074403.mp4
    1,009.6 KB
You don't need a glass (or any other covering) over the airlock. The airlock does its job on its own. CO2 goes out, particles from the air do not go in.

Like I mentioned in your other thread, you can use a bit of keg lube around the grommet that holds the airlock in place, as those grommets sometimes leak. That, by itself, may or may not solve the leak issue. However, I would NOT recommend using lube on the rim of the bucket or inside the lid, as the amount of time you would have the bucket open can expose your beer to contaminants and oxidation.

Ride it out, things will be fine.

Ok...I will believe in my beer ahah

Once you put water in that you'll see the co2 exit as bubbles . It will put a smile on your face too.

I will wait some time...to see if the bubbles begin.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-01-01 at 18.50.50.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-01-01 at 18.50.50.jpeg
    76.9 KB · Views: 18
I will wait some time...to see if the bubbles begin.

Notice that in your airlock the liquid levels are different? That's because there is pressure on one side pushing the liquid. When it gets enough pressure some of the gas will bubble through the airlock. It may only happen occasionally or it might be a continuous stream of bubbles if enough CO2 is being formed.

at this point it might be done.....but lesson learned, airlocks, lock air out by using a fluid that just let's air out, but not back in...

Main thing is to lock out air after fermentation. If air gets in after the sugar is gone, it makes a taste like a cardboard box in your beer.

Back