Here's where I felt stupid.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Killer_Robot

Reaction score
Bottling my second extract batch (mocha stout), while brewing my first all-grain batch (EvilTOJ's Arrogant Bastard clone), and things are going all right for my first clueless attempt. Mash temperature is high but I get it down, and I boil some priming sugar while I wait. Set up to bottle, getting used to using a capper as my first batch used Mr. Beer amber PET bottles, and I'm getting into the pace of it - about a third of the way through I see the priming sugar still cooling there on the stove.

Oops. Well, uncapped the bottles, got them back into the bottling bucket with minimal splashing, added priming sugar. Let's just hope I didn't oxidize it too much. Lesson learned, at least.

If it had been me, my first mistake would have been attempting to bottle while brewing. No way do I have the talent to multitask like that. Especially if I'm enjoying samples of previous batches. :drunk:

I wasn't enjoying any samples, unfortunately. Or actually deliberately for just that reason: once I realized how much running back and forth I was doing I couldn't afford the time or the effects of the alcohol. :) Between that and having to squeeze in cleaning the fermenter I think in the future I'll bottle the day before brewing new.

One plus with bottle conditioning is that when you add in the priming sugar you liven the yeast up and they'll eat up a little bit of O2. Not much, but if gives you a little wiggle room if you introduce a little oxygen in your bottling process.

Haha, have been in a similar situation. Me and my brew buddy used to have "h*ll days" which consisted of brew, bottle and transfer. One time we forgot boiling hops and since then have split our days up!
Srsly though your brew should be fine!

Back