Hey all from Central IL

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgrubb7

Reaction score
Hey all from Effingham, IL. I have about 6 extract batches under my belt, but I've been out of it for 7 years now. Ready to jump back in but going AG this time around. Just got my mash tun done. Been lurking here for a while, and have learned alot. I just wish I would have had a forum like this when I started brewing 9 years ago.

I was just at Three Floyds (Munster, IN) last weekend, and got some much needed inspiration on what to brew. I'm going to try to model a session type beer after their Pride & Joy and possibly a thick ass Stout inspired by their Black Sun. I will probably post my proposed recipe a little later

Is it a good idea to try a stout right off the bat, or should I work on my efficiency before trying such a big brew?

Also are there any good LHBS stores in Champaign, or Terre Haute? Maybe somewere that sells bulk grains, and not just canned kits.

bgrubb7 said:
...Is it a good idea to try a stout right off the bat, or should I work on my efficiency before trying such a big brew?...
I can't help you with your other questions but for this one, I jumped in with a big Belgian dubbel for my first AG. I figured if I go big it won't matter as much if I missed my OG (I ended up getting 67% or something). Really if you have the equipment to manage the amount of ingredients required for the brew, there is no difference between a big beer and a session beer.

And welcome to HBT and back to the obsession! :mug:

Welcome to HBT bgrubb7! :mug:
I always suggest a medium gravity beer for your first brew and one that is straight forward. Make it as easy as possible for your first brew. That way you can concentrate on the basics.
I'm looking forward to seeing your recipe.

Eh another Central Illinois guy! I think that makes over 10 now? We may be able to have a meeting or a brew day.

Yeah there's a place in Champaign called Leisure Time pet and hobby. It's located on Mattis if you're familiar with the streets. I got a 55lb sack of 2row for 30some odd dollars a few months ago from them.

z987k said:
Eh another Central Illinois guy! I think that makes over 10 now? We may be able to have a meeting or a brew day.

Yeah there's a place in Champaign called Leisure Time pet and hobby. It's located on Mattis if you're familiar with the streets. I got a 55lb sack of 2row for 30some odd dollars a few months ago from them.
I know right where that's at. I didn't realize they had homebrew supplies. That's just what I'm looking for is a place to get some bulk grains without having to pay the shipping cost involved with ordering them. I may just have to run up there this weekend.

Back