Home Bar Build with Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arnobg

Reaction score
We bought our first home last August and the previous "wife approved" kegerator/bar became no longer approved in the new house. I decided to build an entire new bar around a Kegco 300 Series 3 tap kegerator that I just purchased to replace my old kegerator.

The plan is to store glassware in the shelf area and to store liquor on the counter top and have shelves on the wall with some other decor. I'm also building a little storage closet next to the kegerator for 2lb C02 tanks and cleaning stuff.

Here's the original bar/kegerator:

IMG_3450.jpg

Here's the framing completed for the new bar:

IMG_3527.jpg

IMG_3528.jpg

IMG_3529.jpg

My next step for today is cutting the fascia and trim boards that will be what you see from the outside. I decided to go with a weathered look to match our gray cabinet and white granite kitchen.

Here's the wood I've purchased for the outside:

IMG_3532.jpg

IMG_3531.jpg

The plan for the counter top is either galvanized sheet metal or butcher block style wood stained white.

Looking for thoughts and opinions on the counter style. Here's the coffee bar/kitchen right next to it. Excuse the mess due to the construction project.

IMG_3533.jpg

It looks like a nice project. I would go with the galvanized sheet metal, I think it would go better with the coffee station.
Good luck with the rest of the build. :mug:

It looks like a nice project. I would go with the galvanized sheet metal, I think it would go better with the coffee station.
Good luck with the rest of the build. :mug:

Thanks for the opinions on that. I think I agree.

Got most of the wood on. All that is left is the shelves on the inside and the counter top and some trip. Here's what the face looks like and the custom door next to the kegerator for housing supplies and the tanks.

IMG_3538.jpg

IMG_3537.jpg

Before you get too far along, have you checked the gap requirements for the kegerator? I have a model similar to yours that requires 2" all around.

I second the galvy sheet metal. That would look sharp,

Looks good, man. I'm staying tuned to see how it turns out.

Before you get too far along, have you checked the gap requirements for the kegerator? I have a model similar to yours that requires 2" all around.

I second the galvy sheet metal. That would look sharp,

Looks good, man. I'm staying tuned to see how it turns out.

Thanks for double checking but I did check the requirements. Same thing for mine, 2". I left over 2" on the one side and the other side actually has a few feet of open area under the counter in the corner, it's completely open. The back has over 6". I'm pretty sure the top doesn't matter as all of the heat dissipates from the sides and back. He trim on the front makes it look like there's less clearance than there is.

Got all of the trim put on. It took exactly 5 boxes of the wood to complete it. I used galvanized finish nails and liquid nail panel glue to attach them. The nails give it a cool rustic barn look.

Then I tried working with sheet metal for the first time which was a little scary, but it came out great! I went to a metal fabrication shop and had them cut me two pieces of 24 ga. galvanized sheet metal. It was only $80 to get all of the metal for the top. I then glued it to 3/4" plywood and let that dry before working the edges around and anchoring those with galvanized finish nails.

IMG_3578.jpg

IMG_3583.jpg

To finish it off I drilled a 3" hole in the counter and put the kegerator in. The bottom of the counter sits about 1/8"-1/4" from the top of the kegerator, so all I did was put some waterproof pipe insulation in there to seal the void. Seemed to work pretty well.

IMG_3581.jpg

I am hoping ventilation isn't a big issue. The manual said 2" on all sides. The right side has 3-3.5" and the left side is completely open under that counter. Maybe I will put a fan under there or something.

My last plans are to install a metal light fixture in the ceiling, add rope lighting behind the glassware shelves, add shelves on the wall and install a handle on the CO2 tank door.

That counter top came out pretty sharp looking. Are you going to do a patina on it or just let it do its thing and age naturally?

That came out awesome! What did you use for the framing? What size is that? Looks a bit smaller than a 2x4.

I just wanted to log in and say thank you to the original poster. I was able to follow your lead and make a similar bar for my porch. Here are some pictures to go along with it. The wood paneling is old warehouse flooring and the top is concrete following the numerous DIYs online for Ardex Feather Finish. The kegerator is an outdoor and built in and all spacing around th the sides and top is according to recommendations. Really happy with the way it came out and would have never been able to pull it off without this thread as a go by. Thanks again.
XvZUNXjzQLeCHurE1G8PLw.jpg
CXY0vV7YRCOsu02U7BrPSA.jpg
RUbhPM+tRPCXYBD5KflgeQ.jpg
ru2ZJ7ElRV2lrYWnO8jhyg.jpg
CfZypBf4TzipuTl9r%yxXQ.jpg
O82NsAhiQSeUylE928V+pA.jpg
jXZHPnaaSsq4prldUscsiw.jpg
iMgQxYuQTNGqxA5LpXaTtg.jpg

Hey man,

love the bar! it looks amazing! what are the dimensions of your bar? If you don’t mind me asking.Also how many 2x4s did you use?

Back