Homebrew Ethics: WIFE DUMPED MY BREW!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, I'll lay it out. I had some friends over for poker last night and was offering up three different homebrews. When I went to the 'john', my buddy told my wife that he didn't care for his IPA, and prefered the Cream Ale that he had before. She promptly dumped his near full IPA down the drain and replaced it with a Cream Ale. When I came back from the bathroom, he had a full Cream Ale in front of him.

I was pissed (mostly at my wife and a little bit at my buddy, who claimed that he would have been happy to finish the beer if it haden't been dumped out). I don't care if he doesn't like it, but don't dump it! I would have drank it! Am I overreacting??? Who's in the wrong??? The Wife???? The Buddy??? Me for brewing Cream Ale???

They're both in the wrong. Your wife should know not to dump your brew and ur buddy seemed like he was being sneaky and asking your wife for a diff brew while u were in the bathroom so that he didn't have to get ridiculed by you. It's a labor of love so it's difficult to deal with the wasting of your hard work. Maybe you should have just took his cream ale from him and mockingly chugged in right in his face, then gave him a fresh IPA and tell him to finish what he started and called him a emasculating name

Did I just get called out by the great Revvy??? I've finally arrived on this forum. Hey revvy...it's just beer, huh? Considering that you're pushing your 27,000th post on this site, I'm guessing it's probably not "just beer" to you either.

To the rest who say that my wife was being a good hostess, I wonder how your wives would react if you dumped the dried out pot roast she presented to you and said "I think I'll order myself a pizza for dinner instead."

No, ur right man. Next time you have pot roast, just take that sucker and jam it down the garbage disposal with a broom handle. Back-hand your buddy and call him a sissy. Maybe take the microwave and throw it off the deck as you scream in an incoherent rage. Then....problem solved, no more dumping of the homebrew.

But seriously, my wife would have probably just set the IPA on the counter, then i would have drank it.

Wait, at no point did I hear that the OP called his local water/sewage dept to see if he can get someone to track down his dumped beer. He should have been getting blueprints on the pipe layout and followed the stream his water took while on the phone with the water company speaking in quiet yet earnest Jack Bauer fashoin to where he would eventually set explosives to expose the piping and used a pick axe to break open the pipes in order to retrieve his beer.

This guy did none of those things. Beer enthusiast my ass

Well hopefully you weren't kicking & screaming like a 2 year old. I imagine I would get a bit irritated, but not to a point that it makes people uncomfortable. I would also have to agree that she was probably just trying to be a good hostess. But hey, now your a pint closer to brewing again.

Think about it....the relationship with your wife vs 12 oz of fermented beer.

Which could spoil in a few weeks> Which could last into eternity?

Obviously the only option is to dump your wife.

Kidding!

Chill-Bro.jpg

Wow... I'm... i'm just stunned. Some people truly have difficult lives.

Some kids are born with AIDS, some people lose a single pint of nearly worthless homebrew. God, when will this MADNESS END?!

Think of it as your wife doing you a favor, she was presenting your homebrew in the best possible light for a guest and keeping you from looking like a desperate drinker that couldn't pour out a beer.

CALMLY tell her next time, to hold it and you'll finish it. Then let it go. It's one beer and hardly worth getting pissed about.

The whole, OMG Beer Down is very college. We aren't buying Keystone or Natty on our $10/month income for the sole purpose of getting wasted. We're drinking quality beer to enjoy it. If you're not enjoying it, dump it. It's the same with food. I'd rather pay for a meal and toss it if it's no good, then pay to suffer through a gross one.

CALMLY tell her next time, to hold it and you'll finish it. Then let it go. It's one beer and hardly worth getting pissed about.

The whole, OMG Beer Down is very college. We aren't buying Keystone or Natty on our $10/month income for the sole purpose of getting wasted. We're drinking quality beer to enjoy it. If you're not enjoying it, dump it. It's the same with food. I'd rather pay for a meal and toss it if it's no good, then pay to suffer through a gross one.

It's not worth getting pissed about, for sure, but understand that it's not about the one beer. It's the principle of the matter, especially since it was an IPA.

It's not worth getting pissed about, for sure, but understand that it's not about the one beer. It's the principle of the matter, especially since it was an IPA.

Oh no not the sacred IPA. What is it with the forum and IPA's? Yes they're good, but so are 90 other different beer styles. but I guess if every brewery in the nation isn't cramming an over the top version of 1 style down your throats, it can't possibly be good! I don't care if it's an IPA, an APA, a belgian or a budlight. If you offer it to someone and pour them a full glass instead of a taster, then don't cry if it gets dumped out. $30/50 beers is $0.60. You're throwing a fit like a 2 year old over 60 cents. Let's go nuts and say it was a 50 dollar batch. It's $1. Seriously? Principle my ass. The principle is about acting like an adult and making your friends feel comfortable at your house, even if it costs you $1.

Oh no not the sacred IPA. What is it with the forum and IPA's? Yes they're good, but so are 90 other different beer styles. but I guess if every brewery in the nation isn't cramming an over the top version of 1 style down your throats, it can't possibly be good! I don't care if it's an IPA, an APA, a belgian or a budlight. If you offer it to someone and pour them a full glass instead of a taster, then don't cry if it gets dumped out. $30/50 beers is $0.60. You're throwing a fit like a 2 year old over 60 cents. Let's go nuts and say it was a 50 dollar batch. It's $1. Seriously? Principle my ass. The principle is about acting like an adult and making your friends feel comfortable at your house, even if it costs you $1.

LMAO! It is you who are throwing a fit, my friend.

Chill the **** out before you hurt yourself. :D

getting worked up over a pint is stupid. I would dump my own pint of beer if a guest wanted something different and I didn't want to drink their backwash. Being a good host is more important than my hobbies.

As Grandpa would say, "Do whatever gets you laid."

It really is as simple as that.

Hey, I do it myself. I pour myself a beer, and a couple sips into it I realize I really didn't want it. So I dump it. No biggie. In other words, get over it.

What if he choked it down and didn't like it but told you it was great? Wouldn't that be far worse than it being dumped? He made it clear that he didn't like it. You are saved from giving him more and him not liking it and being a yes-man.

When I give beer out for people to try I let them know if they don't like it feel free to dump it out...but make sure they tell me that's what happened, they won't hurt my feelings. This way I know not to give them that type of beer again, OR if it was one I thought they would like, then I know something wasn't right about the beer.

It's all how you look at it. In the end, after you've brewed plenty of beer this one beer won't seem like anything significant.

The quicker the homebrew runs out the more you need to brew eventually you will have to up your equipment size and then go all out bling on a new system to keep up with the demand. YOU SHOULD THANK HER! plus she does allow your drunken buddies to come over and serves them too boot.

To the rest who say that my wife was being a good hostess, I wonder how your wives would react if you dumped the dried out pot roast she presented to you and said "I think I'll order myself a pizza for dinner instead."

in fairness, a good-sized pot roast probably cost as much as the ingredients for a 5 gallon batch.

You should really be mad at your buddy for complaining about free beer.

Using your own analogy, it was just a SLICE of pot roast. You guest didn't like it so your wife disposed of it and got him a sandwich. Would you still be mad at her for not slapping the slice on your plate instead of tossing it?

Using your own analogy, it was just a SLICE of pot roast. You guest didn't like it so your wife disposed of it and got him a sandwich. Would you still be mad at her for not slapping the slice on your plate instead of tossing it?

Just as long as she didn't make him a grilled cheese sandwich, I am okay with this.

I wouldn't have gotten seriously mad (or at least wouldn't have shown it if it was) but I'd have harassed them both about it for the rest of the night.

Not even a slice. More like a single bite. If it was a ten gallon batch, a half of a bite. OP: Chill out!

Thanks all, I'm really enjoying this conversation.

I didn't make a big scene about it at the time, and really I just thought this would be a funny thread. But the truth is that it DID bother me a little bit at the time (maybe alcohol induced). I don't beat my wife over the little $hi!, (only important matters) but the point is that she waited until I was in the bathroom to dump it (i.e. she knew it would bug me). When I came back out I told my buddy to give me his IPA and I'd pour him another cream ale. Too bad, it was already gone.

To answer questions...

1. I lost $5 in the poker game.

2. I did not get laid that night.

3. My buddy did feal guilty, but not because I made him feel bad, he already knew it was dirty pool.

4. My wife won't drink my brews because of the occasional "floaters". I got revenge by drinking the last of her Newcastles that night while she was in the john.

5. The pot roast analogy is SOUND! Replace my plate with a friend's plate and have me dump it in the trash while my wife is in the bathroom. It wouldn't go over well. And...it's not about how much money a slice of pot roast costs compared to a pint! Its about the time and effort it takes to make it. Hell, I know how to throw a pot roast in the crock pot at 10:00 and pull it out at 5:00!

Wait...You had homebrew and you were drinking NEWCASTLE??? now THERE's a true disrespect of the HB!!!

Dude it's not like it was a bottle of dark lord. It was a bottle of IPA and apparently a crappy one because it got dumped.:)

You brew at least 50 at time, one goes down the drain and you would have thought someone shot your dog. I'd hate to see what would happen if you car go backed into.

Ok now I'm just giving you a hard time but hey someone had to do it.

Thanks all, I'm really enjoying this conversation.

I didn't make a big scene about it at the time, and really I just thought this would be a funny thread. But the truth is that it DID bother me a little bit at the time (maybe alcohol induced). I don't beat my wife over the little $hi!, (only important matters) but the point is that she waited until I was in the bathroom to dump it (i.e. she knew it would bug me). When I came back out I told my buddy to give me his IPA and I'd pour him another cream ale. Too bad, it was already gone.

To answer questions...

1. I lost $5 in the poker game.

2. I did not get laid that night.

3. My buddy did feal guilty, but not because I made him feel bad, he already knew it was dirty pool.

4. My wife won't drink my brews because of the occasional "floaters". I got revenge by drinking the last of her Newcastles that night while she was in the john.

5. The pot roast analogy is SOUND! Replace my plate with a friend's plate and have me dump it in the trash while my wife is in the bathroom. It wouldn't go over well. And...it's not about how much money a slice of pot roast costs compared to a pint! Its about the time and effort it takes to make it. Hell, I know how to throw a pot roast in the crock pot at 10:00 and pull it out at 5:00!

you drank ALL of her newcastle while she was in the john???? How freaking long was she in there taking a slam?

you should have Mel Gibson'd her a$$. come out of the bathroom yelling YOU RUINED ME!!! ARRRGGGGGHH (HEAVY BREATHING, SNORTING). AT LEAST A MAN DESERVES A FULL IPA BEFORE HE GETS IN THE HOT TUB! AHHHRRRRR!!!!

Back