Honey Peach Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thoughts on getting this to work with pear nectar? Don't really want to do it with honey. Any substitute you'd recommend?

Thoughts on getting this to work with pear nectar? Don't really want to do it with honey. Any substitute you'd recommend?

Works really well with pear. I don't think there is anything that can replace a quality honey though. Maybe pear or apple concentrate but it won't be the same. Good honey has it's own unique complexity.

Key West,

Do you cold crash this at all before you backsweeten? I'm 7 days in the primary, and it's a bit cloudy. I know you said that is a bit cloudy in the glass.

BTW, LHBS was out of Notty, so I picked up Safcider. Really cool fermentation that was mostly little fizzy bubbles. Going to test gravity in the AM, as I think it's done.

Ended up being a bit dry, though not totally as much with the addition of pear and honey. Do you find that the dryness mellows out? I bottled today. My wife enjoyed the taste of the sample.

Sorry took me a couple days to get back. I generally don't crash, wherever I'm at after 17-21 days is where I roll with it. Granted by then it's pretty much done and is slowly settling out.
I feel like my batches don't come out very dry, usually FG is around 1.010 then I backsweeten up closer to 1.020. I'm wondering if your batch finished up lower than mine normally do? In either case you can always add more honey or juice concentrate to sweeten it up. If you go by taste you should get what your after.

Update: pasteurization only cost me 1 bottle, so in a three gallon batch, I ended up with 29 bottles.

Good flavor, not too sweet. On par with a Woodchuck or similar, but not as cloying. I'm happy with it, and my wife, who is the real cider drinker enjoys it. She even said, "I can't believe you just made this."

Kudos, KWB. Thanks!

Update: pasteurization only cost me 1 bottle, so in a three gallon batch, I ended up with 29 bottles.

Good flavor, not too sweet. On par with a Woodchuck or similar, but not as cloying. I'm happy with it, and my wife, who is the real cider drinker enjoys it. She even said, "I can't believe you just made this."

Kudos, KWB. Thanks!

Awesome to hear!

Well, just tried pasteurizing this a.m. and 3 min into the first 9 bottles, sounded like a bomb went off. Thought it was just a fluke, then again a minute later. I kept putting the lid back on so glass wouldn't fly everywhere. Lost 5 out of 9 the first round. I then threw the 21 more 22 oz bottles in the fridge to cold crash instead. This was only 4 days after bottling. I did back sweeten quite a bit with more honey and mango nectar to get down to 6.5% and for taste. It was quite scary in between bombs to cover the pot each time but no injuries!! Weirdest thing is, I just cracked one open cautiously and has medium carbonation, so why the bottle bombs?? I've pasteurized a few times before with no issue.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1465520030.440613.jpg

That's scary stuff man. Exact reason why I feel better doing it in a cooler. Safer, contained, and easier clean up. Glad to hear nobody got hurt.
How old were your bottles? I know sometimes old bottles can't hold the pressure as well. Though I must say I've never gone passed 3 days and even then it's normally pushing it. That's the main drawback to the pasteurization method. You have to go easy on the carb levels.

Never tried anything like that with a cider. Let me know how it turns out!

Will do. Ran the idea by SWMBO, and she insisted I just go with apple again. Probably going to pull the primary earlier than I did last time so it isn't as dry.

OK, so, in an attempt to reach my goal of a super-peachy apple cider, this just happened:

Eight cans, along with about 200g of orange blossom honey, added to just two gallons of 8% ABV cider. Due to the volume of the "nectar" I ended up dropping my ABV down around the neighborhood of 5.5% but such is life. It tasted pretty good from the bottling wand, I'll report back when it's carbed, pasteurized, and cold!

OK, so, in an attempt to reach my goal of a super-peachy apple cider, this just happened:

Eight cans, along with about 200g of orange blossom honey, added to just two gallons of 8% ABV cider. Due to the volume of the "nectar" I ended up dropping my ABV down around the neighborhood of 5.5% but such is life. It tasted pretty good from the bottling wand, I'll report back when it's carbed, pasteurized, and cold!

Hmmm. I have a 2 gallon batch of apfelwine I'm about to bottle. I'd love to add peach nectar to it...

This is my first hard cider
6 gal tree top from costco
3/4 gal water to get to the top of my 6.5 gal carboy
OG 1.052 first time taking a hydro reading.
pectic enzyme added
Notty pitched

Was thinking about adding a cinnamon stick or two, is this a good time to do this in the primary?
I'll let sit in primary 30 days
then back sweeten with local honey 1lb
and 1 can frozen AJ.
bottle and pasteurize when carbonated to my liking.

20160709_160206_resized.jpg

Add the cinnamon after fermentation, probably a few days before bottling. Also make sure to leave headspace in the carboy for krausen. It's less than a batch of beer but still expect some.

UPDATE: Just to bring you up to speed: this batch is carbed up and pasteurized, ready for my belly!

Overall, the peach flavor is very evident (go figure) but also brings along with it a pretty hefty tartness. Sweetness-wise, it's definitely sweeter than I'd guess most folks here would prefer (based on my interpretation of recipes I see posted) but STILL not sweet enough for SWMBO, whose cider preferences lean more toward Angry Orchard-order sweetness. For her, that tartness is just too much, and would have to be offset with even MORE backsweetening. SO, I'm guessing it'll be up to me to finish off this 25 bottle batch.

IMPORTANT NOTE: the nectar brought with it enough fruit pulp to leave a pretty hefty layer of sludge in the bottom of each bottle. At the moment, warm and only bottled for a couple weeks, the layer is still very fragile and silty (I would say "not at all flocculant" but don't know if that word only works for yeast, or any kind of sediment). I'm hoping that as it sits in the fridge, I'll get further settling. Only time will tell.

This is my first hard cider
6 gal tree top from costco
3/4 gal water to get to the top of my 6.5 gal carboy
OG 1.052 first time taking a hydro reading.
pectic enzyme added
Notty pitched

Was thinking about adding a cinnamon stick or two, is this a good time to do this in the primary?
I'll let sit in primary 30 days
then back sweeten with local honey 1lb
and 1 can frozen AJ.
bottle and pasteurize when carbonated to my liking.

I added 2 old cinnamon sticks 7 days ago,
I took a gravity reading last night looks to be about 1.007,
Smells great, tastes like white wine with just a barely detectable hint of cinnamon,
I was wondering if I can leave this for another 2 weeks without it going to low on the hydro, I have a Big BBQ this weekend and will not have time to bottle!
would lowering the fermentor temp (it's at 65 now), help stop it or will the Notty stop at 1.005 anyways?

Hydro.jpg

Lowering the temp will definitely slow things down though those last few points really take a while. 3 weeks on cinnamon sticks is more what I'd be worried about though admittedly I've never messed with cinnamon in the fermenter.

I'm not to too worried about the 2 cinnamon sticks they were pretty old small ones, and swmbo did not really taste cinnamon last night, just stated that it tasted like white wine.
I can drop the temp pretty low, 5.0 Freezer is working as my fermentor at this time.

I'm not to too worried about the 2 cinnamon sticks they were pretty old small ones, and swmbo did not really taste cinnamon last night, just stated that it tasted like white wine.
I can drop the temp pretty low, 5.0 Freezer is working as my fermentor at this time.

I definitely recommend cold crashing then. If you find a FG you like you can crash out your future batches once they've attenuated to that point as well.

I'm cold crashing to 38F, now I wish I had crashed at 1.012, the taste was really great nice tart apple not to sweet at all.
Will back sweeten with 1lb honey and 1 can frozen AJ.

I'm cold crashing to 38F, now I wish I had crashed at 1.012, the taste was really great nice tart apple not to sweet at all.
Will back sweeten with 1lb honey and 1 can frozen AJ.

I would keep that in mind and make that your target. Where you crash out at will change how much you'll want to backsweeten so I'd pay attention there and see what you like. If you want you can even freeze concentrate the AJ so your adding less volume and more flavor/sugar.

I back sweetened with 1.5lbs honey added 1cn FAJ, waited a week till carbonated,
setup to pasteurize last Sunday but the piping nxt to the garbage disposal that I had to replace decided to leak, cold crashed again to hold for the week.
Was able to pasteurize this last Sunday morning no breezes outside, so no chance of cold air helping to blow up the hot bottles coming out of the kettle.
Going to leave the bottles unrefrigerated out in the garage to make sure no bombs go off in the house.

Pasturize.jpg

This sounds lovely. Any other Peach concentrate you have used or can recommend? Very heard to find in canada

FYI - Old cinnamon can absorb oils and other flavours from the environment and can put big off flavours. BIG ONES. Lost a whole 5G to bad cinnamon. If you can't remember when you bought it - buy more for your cider.

This sounds lovely. Any other Peach concentrate you have used or can recommend? Very heard to find in canada

That's the only one I've used. If you can get another brand I don't see an issue as long as it's not full of preservatives and stuff. Good call on the cinnamon as well. I don't use old ingredients when I brew be it hops, grain, or spices. Best results come from freshness and attention to detail.

Just bottled this and tested the carb level 2 days later. Still needs some time before I pasteurize, but since I opened a bottle I had to drink it. Tastes great! Definitely addding this into the rotation. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

Next time use a grolsh type bottle for one, so you can just drop the cap back on. Unless of course you need the excuse to drink one.

This is an incredibly easy, tasty, and cheap cider to make. Its become a big hit with everyone that's tried it at beer tasting events.

You get however many gallons of Publix brand Apple Cider you want to make, though this recipe is for 6 gallons. Add it to a sanitized carboy. I like to put 3 gallons in the freezer, one gallon in the fridge, and leave 2 gallons out. This way its already cold and I dont have to chill it before pitching. Once your close to 65f pitch your Notty and close it up. Thats it for a little over 2 weeks. Once its fermented and the yeast has settled out rack over to your bottling bucket. At this point you have a base for making almost any cider you can imagine. From experimenting I've found adding honey at bottling time really brings out the apple flavor. Ive also done variations using tart cherry juice, pear nectar, black cherry juice, guava nectar, and am currently working on a ginger version.

Once in the bottling bucket/keg, back sweeten with 1# of Orange Blossom honey and 1 bottle of Looza Organic Peach Nectar(34ozs). I heat the honey up in the microwave so its easier to get out of the bottle and mix into solution. This is just my preference of nectar to use but really you can just add to taste.

Once everything has been mixed in its ready to bottle up. At this point I open one up every other day to see when its carbed to where I like it. Usually it only takes 3-4 days. From there pasteurize all the bottles using the stove top method. Dont let the bottles get too carbed otherwise the pasteurizing process can be extremely dangerous. And you cant not pasteurize this recipe unless your kegging because all the sugar that was added at bottling will create bottle bombs. Now your ready to chill it and enjoy :tank:

Brand new... when you say pitch your Notty, does that mean one packet of Nottingham yeast? Is one packet the amount required for 6 gallons?
Thanks

Brand new... when you say pitch your Notty, does that mean one packet of Nottingham yeast? Is one packet the amount required for 6 gallons?
Thanks

Yes, I packet of Nottingham is enough for six gallons. I make six gallon batches all the time and only use one packet. I’ve also made a seven gallon batch with one packet.

I just bought 5 gallons of motts and going to put this together tonight. I couldn’t find the looza but found this and bought 34 Oz worth. Hoping it turns out just as good! I’ll keep the thread updated in a few weeks when I keg it.

IMG_3605.JPG

Last edited:
Once but couldn't get a full 5 gallons. I wound up using store brand apple for almost half. It was good enough want to do it again with all peach apple.
Mott's apple cherry works well also.

Back