Hop Bombs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adempsey10

Reaction score
Question about hops in fermenter and the effect on fermentation process.

I love hoppy IPAs. I wish my beer could taste exactly the way hops smell. That being said, with my IPA recipes I add a significant amount of flavour and aroma hops in the last 20-30min of boil (including a dump at flameout). I find that regardless of how much I let the wort settle before racking to fermenter I get a buttload of hops in the fermenter (using pellet hops so by this time its runny gunk). I don't mind this happening because I want some hops in the fermenter.

My typical practice is to pitch yeast then aerate the wort. What I notice, however, is that the yeast seems to settle first with the hops on top. When fermentation begins I get these little hop mushroom clouds exploding when the yeast start to bubble up through the hop bed. It looks awesome but I worry that the hops might affect the yeast's ability to get up and at the wort. Could this be an issue? The solution that I've come up with, if I need one, is to aerate, let the hops settle for 5-10minutes, then pitch yeast.

Do I have a problem? Will the solution I've come up with work if I do? Should I not worry and just sit back and be mildly entertained by the little yeast nukes exploding inside my beer?

Additional Info: These are all 1gal brews in clear 1gal jars.

AD

I dont think this would be an issue at all. One solution to prevent getting as much hops into your fermenter is to start putting your hop addition into a muslin bag or some kind of strainer bag. If the yeast is fermenting, then I would say you dont have a problem. There are many people that will dry hop the living crap out of their beer during fermentation and get plenty of sediment on the bottom, but it doesnt seem to hinder the fermentation process at all.
I would put my vote for sit back and relax.

Latest posts

Back