Hop Crown Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew18

Reaction score
I originally planted a crystal hop rhizome in late april but it didnt bud. I planted another one in the same spot with the same result. I decided to give it one more go ao I bought a comet hop crown.

Any concern with planting it this late in the season? I live i the chicagoland area. Im of course not looking at harvest at the end of the season. Just looking to set the hops up for production next year. Thanks.

I originally planted a crystal hop rhizome in late april but it didnt bud. I planted another one in the same spot with the same result. I decided to give it one more go ao I bought a comet hop crown.

Any concern with planting it this late in the season? I live i the chicagoland area. I'm of course not looking at harvest at the end of the season. Just looking to set the hops up for production next year. Thanks.

Planting now would give time for roots to begin establishing themselves so that when winter rolls around it can go dormant with strong roots. Others have way WAY more expertise here on this, but I have taken cuttings from my plants at this time last year and they did great in pots. Very strong and vigorous growth, and I even got a cone. They now reside in KC area alongside a deck, growing like wildfire.

I'd plant them and get those roots started! I would probably try and figure out what was going on with the pot or soil and figure why those other two plants died. They need lots of Nitrogen, lots of water as they mature, and something to climb.

I would plant now.
I bought 3 Willamette Field grade plants from Great Lakes Hops last summer, July 10, to be exact. They didn't do much last year, but are growing great this year.
I also bought some Comet hops this year from plants from Great Lakes, and got them in the ground in May, and they are doing ok. I might actually get something harvested from them. From my reading, they are a very hardy and good growing plant.
(the tall ones up the flag pole are the Willmamette)

20160626_194329.jpg

20160626_194334.jpg

Thanks for the insight gents. Im totally new to hop growing and have made some rookie mistakes so far such as planting directly into a dense clay-like soil. At least in the case of the cascade rhizomes Im really not sure what happened since I mixed in some top soil. I bought some blood meal from HD so hopefully that will help out with the rhizomes i planted straight into the ground as well as around where the crown will be planted.

Btw the ones I planted directly into the soil are growing but extremly slow. Some have only one bine that has shriveled up significant since sprouting. Any reason to dig these up and re-do them or should I leave them as is?

Back