Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IreWay78

Reaction score
Hey all!! Technical question here. Has anyone used hop substitutions? I'm working on a bill for a Hophouse 13 clone and theres a severe shortage of Galaxy and Topaz here in Norway. I'm seeing on a table PDF I downloaded online from Warwick's that Citra, Amarillo, and Centennial is a good substitution for Galaxy, and Mosaic are easy to come by. Substitution for Topaz shows Cascade and Amarillo. Amongst others that are extremely hard to find here. What's the suggestion!? I'm at arms with this deal!!
20181011_204223.jpeg

Sounds like you answered your own question. You can google each of the potential hops and read descriptions on flavor and aroma to pick the one that sounds the best for you. Personally I love Citra and Casacde, Mosaic is also an excellent hop but everyone's tastes and perception of aroma is different.

Could always look across the North Sea for eg Topaz and Galaxy (no affiliation, the Galaxy is cheaper elsewhere but not many places have Topaz).

The recipe you are using is just one person's record of what they did. Any changes and it isn't the same recipe. It may be worse, it may be much better, but it isn't their recipe anymore, it is yours. I substitute ingredients all the time because there isn't a local source for them and I want to brew today, not next month. I've found that I like the changes even if the beer turns out differently. Look up the description for the hops used, look at some other hops that have similar descriptions and make the substitution. Unless you have the two beer sitting right in front of you and sip first one, then the other, you may not know the difference and even with sampling both you still might not be able to tell, especially if you have had a couple beers first.

Back