How do I prevent oxidation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bamajo

Reaction score
I have read many posts on the subject but would like to hear everyone elses procedures for adding potassium metabisulfite to wine when racking and bottling to prevent oxidation. The first book I read on wine making is "From Vines to Wines". It is a great book in my opinion but the author makes it sound that adding K metabisulfite is only necessary at the beginning and discourages it when racking or bottling. Is it really necessary to add more? I worry about too much oxygen coming into contact with my wine when bottling. I do sanitize my bottles with a strong solution of potassium metabisulfite and I'm sure some mixes with the wine when bottling. I hate the thought of adding more sulfites than needed. Would some of you experienced wine makers care to share your process or thoughts?

Is it worth getting one of those $99 kits to test for Free SO2 or do most people just add the 1/4 tsp (1 Campden) for each transfer / or 3-4 months of aging time in the carboy?

It's 1/4 tsp k-meta powder for 6 gallons, OR 1 crushed campden tablet per gallon at every other racking and at bottling. That's just an estimate of approx 40 ppm but it's not a bad estimate if you don't have an S02 meter.

As long as you have one bubble on the air lock after you rack you have positive pressure off the wine. Your pretty safe.

I worry about too much oxygen coming into contact with my wine when bottling. I

Once you are done with primary fermentation (and MLF, if you are doing that), you want to dose your wine with 50-75ppm sulfites to prevent spoilage (see chart link below). At all operations from this point onward, you need to minimize exposure to air by purging containers with CO2 (or another inert gas, if you have a tank handy) and especially by reducing headspace in your container by topping off with wine/water or purging it with inert gas. Prevention is the key while modest sulfite additions (20ppm) are an insurance policy that keeps your wine safe when you rack, age, and bottle.

To be the most accurate and safest, you should measure your pH use a chart to sufficiently dose your sulfites to achieve your desired molecular SO2 value.

You can get kits like this. Not accurate for red wine.
There are also more advanced options.

I wouldn't waste my money on titrets. The aeration/oxidation method of the basic $99 kit is the way to go. While the ripper method used by the Hanna 84100 equipment is easier to use, it is not as accurate as the AO method.

As long as you have one bubble on the air lock after you rack you have positive pressure off the wine. Your pretty safe

Yes, but the largest risk oxidation is not due to a pressure differential causing air to creep into the container. The largest source of oxidation comes from splashing during and excessive headspace after racking which has ~20% oxygen from ambient air. If you purge headspace with CO2, you'll notice a negative pressure in the airlock due to absorption of some CO2 into the wine but that is a better option than a headspace with air.

Interesting thread, i like those kits but i only make red.

i have a bottle that has too much free S02. will it reduce over time? or if i put it in a decanter will that also let it loose some free S02?

wondering if i add too much campden tablet by mistake can i just wait a little longer or air it out in a decanter?

Cheers.

The so2 will drop over time and decanting it will also help when you can ready to drink it. Or just try running the wine through an aerator to get immediate effects rather than decanting.

Adding too much so2 can bleach color from your wine and reduce the fruit on the nose, even after you've aerated it into your glass. So, as always, we need double check the measurement before adding any chemicals. I have a spreadsheet I use for all my calculations and additions.

I have read many posts on the subject but would like to hear everyone elses procedures for adding potassium metabisulfite to wine when racking and bottling to prevent oxidation. The first book I read on wine making is "From Vines to Wines". It is a great book in my opinion but the author makes it sound that adding K metabisulfite is only necessary at the beginning and discourages it when racking or bottling. Is it really necessary to add more? I worry about too much oxygen coming into contact with my wine when bottling. I do sanitize my bottles with a strong solution of potassium metabisulfite and I'm sure some mixes with the wine when bottling. I hate the thought of adding more sulfites than needed. Would some of you experienced wine makers care to share your process or thoughts?
I too am cautious about adding so2, sanitizing all equipment with sullphite is a good safety net, topping off within an inch at every racking and letting the vessels sit for 4 months before racking again will guarantee no popping corks. Discipline in not opening a maturing wine and going 10 months prior to bottle I found allows all the suspension to settle out.

Latest posts

Back