How do you typically package?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's your preferred way of packaging mixed-ferm beer for bottle conditioning? (Not 4 competitions)

• Cork and Cage (3F style)

• Cork and Cap (Cantillon style)

• Cap only (Like most clean beer)

• Swingtops... I like to live dangerously.

• N/A - I exclusively keg

Results are only viewable after voting.

goodolarchie

Reaction score
I made a resolution this year to try corking some of my beer - mostly cork and cage. The bottles are not cheap but I started hanging onto the thick 375's that my local brewery uses, built up enough to bottle half my batches. My usual routine is keg half, bottle half in 12oz longnecks and cap, in case I want to submit anything for competition. But I seen a few caps leak once you hit the 3.5 - 4.0 volumes mark at room temps, which conerns me a bit.

An aside - as I understand it, "homebrew" corks aren't generally very good quality compared to those used by lambic-style commercial breweries. So the ones I used this year may not hold up for 3+ years. So I'm committing a couple side by sides with a standard cap (all else held equal) to compare at the 1, 3, 5 year mark.

I'm curious what you all do when it comes to bottling for refermentation, conditioning, long term aging of mixed ferm beer?

I haven't reached the point of packaging any of my sours yet. A year from now when it's time to start packaging though I will be exclusively bottling and wax sealing them for the simple reason that I can kick a keg in about a week. I figure it's easier to keep bottles out of sight and out of mind, plus peeling the wax will make it feel like more of an event and remind me to savor!

Nothing wrong with cork and cap apart from the larger bell and cap size being less commonly available than the standard crown cap, along with some bottles not fitting a cap at all. Cork and cage has been my go-to simply because it a) looks sharp and b) works on everything.

i almost exclusively bottle my funky and sour beers, in thick-glass bottles using a standard cap. i have never had an issue with caps leaking. i like bottling as opposed to kegging as it makes it easier to enjoy over the long-term and see how the beer changes over time.

Latest posts

Back