How good is old Mead once opened?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

savanah21music

Mountain Mama Mead
Reaction score
I have acquired 6 gallons of "old" mead- been sitting for about 3 years - once I open it and taste it - what is the shelf-life after that? Do I keep it cold and for how long is it still considered "good" or "drinkable"? Any info would help - Thank you! (I am a beginner-brewer and really have no idea ;)

I would be prepared to bottle it up, when you open the carboy.

Although, if the carboy is currently sealed, you should be able to use a wine thief and pull a sample and taste and evaluate it and safely seal it back up, sanitizing the stopper before you close it.

Some concerns might be, was the mead racked several times and now it is basically clear with no lees on the bottom, or was a batch started and someone walked away from it with all of the lees (yeast) still on the bottom of the fermenter (not good)?

If you could post a picture of what you have, it might help as well.

You have to taste it. !
It won't make you sick, it will most likely either be great, or not too good.
Have a glass of water handy to rinse your mouth in case of the latter.

Now if it is good, the easiest, thing to do is to siphon it into a keg, if you have one available.
Then use either co2 or nitrogen to push it out, when you want more.

I would be prepared to bottle it up, when you open the carboy.

Although, if the carboy is currently sealed, you should be able to use a wine thief and pull a sample and taste and evaluate it and safely seal it back up, sanitizing the stopper before you close it.

Some concerns might be, was the mead racked several times and now it is basically clear with no lees on the bottom, or was a batch started and someone walked away from it with all of the lees (yeast) still on the bottom of the fermenter (not good)?

If you could post a picture of what you have, it might help as well.

You have to taste it. !
It won't make you sick, it will most likely either be great, or not too good.
Have a glass of water handy to rinse your mouth in case of the latter.
Thank you so much for all of your help! We do have kegs ready - will open and test a sample to test :)

Back