How long can I keep on primary WLP029 cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
I have an APA/Hybrid that I am fermenting with WLP029 at 64 degrees. I do not want to transfer this beer to secondary for a lagering, clearing period. I am wondering if, after three weeks of primary at 64, if I would be OK moving this thing, on the primary cake, to 60 degrees for another Month.

So do you think, at cooler temps, up to 7-8 weeks on the primary cake would be OK? I am thinking it could be the cleanest, clearest beer I ever made, but I could be wrong.

7-8 weeks in the primary is not a problem at all. I have left a cream ale in the primary for almost 3 months without any negative side effects from the yeast cake. You are looking at making a very clean tasting beer by leaving it in that long. However, you don't NEED to leave it in that long. 4 weeks is all it would really take to get a pretty clean tasting beer.

I have an APA/Hybrid that I am fermenting with WLP029 at 64 degrees. I do not want to transfer this beer to secondary for a lagering, clearing period. I am wondering if, after three weeks of primary at 64, if I would be OK moving this thing, on the primary cake, to 60 degrees for another Month.

So do you think, at cooler temps, up to 7-8 weeks on the primary cake would be OK? I am thinking it could be the cleanest, clearest beer I ever made, but I could be wrong.

No problem AT ALL! I use WLP029 all the time, mainly for a house favorite Kolsch. In fact, I have 4 Kolsch's right now ending week three at 62 degrees in the primary. I am moving 2 to a secondary and leaving 2 in the primary. Both will go in a spot that is 54 for 4 more weeks. I have done this quite a bit.

The beer will be fantastic.

Back