how long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XELA

Reaction score
how long has everyone been brewing? and more importantly how good have you gotten over that time?

iv been brewin about a year at a guess and still havnt made a good batch! :p

i was just wondering if theres anyone here in the same situation, or am i just a very slow learner? :eek:

I started at 14 or so helping my Dad out with his homebrewing and did so until I went to college at 19. I picked up the hobby again at 22 and have been going stronger and stronger for the past 5 years. I'd honestly say that I've only started making what I'd consider really good beer in the last year (with much help from the here forum!!!!), so you've got time by my standards!!!!! Keep reading, keep brewing, keep drinking and you will definitely see the results.

I've been brewing for over 11 years and I've always made decent beer. My beers have improved drastically over the past year. I attribute this to a few things.
1. Kegging
2. Advice from the HBT forum
3. Availability of better ingredients

If you tell us your procedures when you brew, maybe we can help you improve your results. I bet we can help you brew better beer right away. :mug:

well iv only made kit beers, just add water yeast and sugar, so i know theres not alot i can improve on there - only one out of about 6 was drinkable!

however i did make a gallon of cider recently, when i tasted before carbing it was sour, and so was the cider i made from kit!

wasnt followin a recipe tho, just experimenting

hoping to get some hops and more eqipment soon, and im makin edworts apple wine in a week or too, really dnt want that to go wrong

XELA said:
and im makin edworts apple wine in a week or too, really dnt want that to go wrong
With all due respect to Ed and his great recipe, it is IMPOSSIBLE to get wrong. So long as you can sanitize the equipment, pour things into ther things, and rip open a yeast packet there is 0 chance of failure. It's foolproof. ;)

Regarding brewing, READ www.howtobrew.com
Cover to cover. Twice. three times. You will learn a ton.

lol i hate reading, i have read a bit, but will read more

everyone says its impossibe to go wrong with it haha..
might jus be the first to prove every one wrong :D

about sanitizing, cant get the smell of beer off my keg..
using bruclens stuff

also i think i made my keg a bit pink inside with bleach

woops :eek:

My first batch was about a year ago this march. I made 2 extract batches from march to july and then tried a partial mash. Something stuck in my brain doing the PM and i have not been able to stop brewing and buying crap for this hobby since then.

My beers made a huge increase in quality when i went from extract to AG. Does that mean the extracts were bad, no, they were good beers but as far as complexity is concerned they have improved with the AG brewing.

were your beers good enuf for someone who drinks comercial beers and has never tried homebrew beers? or someone whos fussy?

I've just started brewing very recently. I watched and occasionally helped(usually with bottling and always with drinking) my friends who have been brewing for years, and I've learned more in the past month from reading howtobrew and asking questions and reading old threads on this forum than I learned in all the time I spent with my brewing friends.

cnbudz said:
I've just started brewing very recently. I watched and occasionally helped(usually with bottling and always with drinking) my friends who have been brewing for years, and I've learned more in the past month from reading howtobrew and asking questions and reading old threads on this forum than I learned in all the time I spent with my brewing friends.

i dont know anyone else personaly who brews, so no help that way

how do you brew? extract?
also how good are your beers?

exellent!
let me no by pm email or msn

im doin my first extract brew after iv tried edworts apple wine :D

I started in the summer of '05, so that puts me at over a year and a half. I did extract with grain for most of that time, and went all-grain not even a month ago. I've had one batch that had to go down the drain (burned some LME and the flavor reflected that), a few batches that were so-so, some batches that were good, and then two or three that I *really* liked. I've also tried some meads, and while I like the flavor, those things dry me out too much to enjoy them regularly.

You'll get it! Keep brewing.

Threadjack: whereabouts in the UK are you from, XELA?

I've been brewing for 15 years now. My quality has dramatically improved since my first brews. Practice makes perfect. I've recently completely overhauled my entire setup; but I have to wait till major construction is finished on my house before I can brew again. That's likely to be another two months or so. :(

I haven't brewed a beer yet. Going to pretty soon, tho. Have a brewing friend that will be my mentor. He makes what I consider to be great beer.

I got started by distilling. I know thats a sore subject here so please leave it alone. I have done a couple easy meads and have a batch of Ed's apfelwein going.

My whole experience has been a huge 6 months. I've have been reading everything I can get my eyeballs on. Can't figure out why I didn't get into this 30 years ago. Might have saved a penny or two.

I just started this winter, but I have wanting to for many years. My first batch was Brewers Best Red Ale kit. It was either going to be sink or swim. My first batch rocked! It is infinitely better than I imagined. I would’ve gone through it in 2 weeks if I didn’t catch a cold. Every time I take a drink I think “man! This is good!” excellent flavor, great color and clarity.

Now it is all I think about. All I see in my head are brown ales, porters, and stouts! I’m hooked. I’ve studied the first two sections of palmers book (a bit overwhelming at times). This weekend I’m going to do a robust porter. I’m currently planning the Great HomeBrew Invasion at my house. More equipment, constructing my own ‘Man-Cave’ for brewing and music. Partial mash or all grain isn’t on my radar….yet

I’m a terrible cook, so that has kept me from homebrew for many years. I read several different sets of instructions for my first brew and took all the info and distilled it into my own instruction/check list sheet while making the wort and stsarting fermentation. That saved me. That organization, I believe, helped make my beer what it was, and minimized the potential effects if the few mistakes I did make.

The only problem with homebrewing is that when you make a good batch, people want your beer.

Also, this bunch here helped alot. I came to this board with questions from my first brew. Helped me get through some tight spots.

When I started in 81, this hobby was akin to voodoo.

Recipes were closely guarded secrets, ingredients were hit and miss and you got some very strange looks when you discussed it.

At first I worried and fretted a lot, but made some decent beers. I have been AG for some time now and my quality has risen greatly, to the point where my homebrews are more popular than the commercials I have on hand.

Have I made a bad batch? Oh yeah.

I have learned a lot since then and if there is one piece of advise I could give to new brewers it is this; It WANTS to make beer, you are just helping it, and above all, be patient. Rushing any part of the process is unwise and you will pay for it in poor quality and your beer being less than it can be.

Relax and have a home brew.

Cheers,

knewshound

I made wine and beer when I was 14 and sold it at school. Wine was the best seller. Just kits and used my dads gear. did that for a couple of months until we thought that we could not get away with it for much longer! ...other $$$ plans were underway by then...

Bought a starter kit when I was 21. Brewed a couple of times. Moved to Edinburgh.

Moved to Tasmania and have been brewing on and off for the last four years. Brewed about 12 batches in the last year. Need to brew more. Have only just started using a secondary and extract. A LONG way to go...

I started homebrewing in July of last year with Mr. Beer. I'd probably still be using the little brown keg were it not for the high cost of shipping to the Aloha state. It would have cost me just as much to ship a couple of Mr Beer ingredient kits, as it was for me to buy a 5 gallon brew set and have it shipped here.

My first brew from scratch was a 2 gallon batch of either a Porter or a Stout fermented in the Mr. Beer. It wasn't bad, but I think if I still had a bottle it would be really good now.

Second Batch was a Cream Ale in Mr Beer, that turned out like crap. It was about a case full of gushers.

Third: My first full 5 gallon batch was a Pale Ale that rocks. I have one bottle left that I am saving for a bit, because this beer seemed to get better the longer it sat.

Fourth: Amberweizen: 5 gallons, stuck fermentation, down the drain.

Currently have Cheesefoods Caramel Cream Ale going into bottles this weekend.

When I move to WA state this summer, and I have more space I plan on brewing about once a month or so.

Keep with it, because sooner or later things are going to work out, and you will have an excellent beer.

Talk to the guys and gals on this forum, share your recipes, because they will be able to help you out and tell you where your mistakes might be.

Lastly, just keep an eye on sanitation, because more than anything, that will kill a beer.

december of 2004... i've gotten twenty pounds heavier since then too... hmm...

i did kits and pm for about six months. now i/we brew about 2-3 times a month since 1.5 years with just my ghetto rigged ag set up.

i dont know if my beer is any good. i like it, and everyone who's drank it likes it, with the exception of pops, who likes his miller high life. can't fault him that. :p

but like samuel jackson said, it'll get you drunk!!!!

image019.jpg

I've been brewing for almost 19 years. My first home brews were enjoyed by SWMBO when she was nursing our first child. Man, after one home brew, SWMBO was loaded to go. She can blame it on her mother who gave me a book on Home brewing. I've been hooked ever since.

I can say that I've never had a bad batch (my sanitation practices are compulsive) and each batch has gotten better. Since graduating to All Grain brewing, my life has changed. It's amazing the quality of beer that can be produced in the kitchen and back deck!

I bought my first kit in 1990, made a few batches then quit until about a year and a half ago. Going strong ever since and my brews are getting better.

I'm new- I broke my leg on March 17, 2006 during a hockey game and needed a new hobby. The leg didn't heal, so I had lots of time on my hands. I started making wine, then beer because it was faster.

I've never made a bad batch, but there was one that wasn't very good. My husband bought me a hopped LME gift for a gift and I made it but we were forced to give most of it away to people who had no taste buds. I've made plenty of mediocre ones, though, and several very goods ones. My very first kit was actually quite good, and it got me hooked into this obsession.

Proofman said:
My first batch was Brewers Best Red Ale kit. It was either going to be sink or swim. My first batch rocked!

really? from a kit an it was that good? iv only ever brewed from kit so far an never really made a good batch, must be doin somethin wrong?

i didnt expect this many replys! but gave me somethin to read for a while :D

for my first extract brew, i wanna do a pale ale because this micro brewery i used to drink in (called the lead mill) had loads of pale ale, and they were THE nicest beers iv ever had

the led mill is now closed (i think) and sellin a 10 times worse beer in pubs:(

I did my first brew in mid November 06. I had ingredients and instructions written out by a friend. I followed them exactly and the beer turned out great (was an extract). I've since brewed, bottled and tasted 2 batches on my own following others extract recipes, both of those turned out great. I have 2 more batches in the fermenters now and they taste excellent (when measuring gravity, have to sample).

I don't see how you could brew for a year and not have a good beer? Maybe its the pride that goes into my brewing, but my beers taste excellent to me. I'd rather drink them than anything else. I've gotten nothing but compliments, but its just following simple guidelines to brewing. Maybe your batches are getting infected or something. What tastes bad about them? Are you leaving them in the fermentors long enough?

well there from kits so i supose thats one reason?

also im just crap at following instructions.. mayby dyslexic or something? :p

but yea, i followed the instructions as best i could, they didnt taste mouldy, just not very nice, iv drank/poured them all away now so i cant discribe the taste..

me, my friends an family all tried them and they just wernt very nice :eek: lol

p.s has anyone tried this non alcoholic beer?
http://ct.pbase.com/t1/93/329493/4/58013199.IranMar06354.jpg

for some reason i love it!

XELA,

When/if you can afford it try A John bull premium kit or a Woodford's Wherry kit. It's extremely difficult to do anything wrong with them and they are Very good. Some of the kits don't even need boiling
Granted they are twice the price of the cheap add sugar kits but you will end up with beer as god as the stuff in pubs at around half the price.
The Woodford's malt is made by an actual brewery and is award winning.

If you buy cheap kits and get it wrong then unfortunately it will give bad beer.
It sounds like yo are willing to learn and want to make good beer.

If you really can't afford the better kits then you can make the cheap kits better. but it increases the price.

Look at this.

Cheap kit and sugar £7.99 and £0.75p = £8.74 or 21p a pint

Cheap kit and improvements

£7.99 plus £.99 for Malt instead of sugar and £3 for hops = £11.98 or 30p a pint

A good kit with no extra work = £14.99 or 37p a pint.

Good beer in a pub = £2.00 a pint.

Now do you want the really good news.?
If you take your time and learn, put a little money, time, thought and effort into your kit then you can make amazing beer better than all the stuff mention above for under 20p a pint.

All Grain.

to be honest i dont dare do all grain because of lack of knowlege

but 20 p a pint is exellent

where could i get A John bull premium kit or a Woodford's Wherry kit

and which is better out of the two?

im willin too pay more as soon as i get the money.. willing to spend all my money on this hoby in fact

every one says wilkos but iv never seen home brew stuff there, altho iv only looked in about two

ill look around

oh yea, are the instructions on it any good or does anythin need changin? (different sugar or somethin) :confused:

thanks orfy

No , it is complete. No sugar to add. It comes with a hopped LME and a normal LME.

I'm sure it is a no boil kit so it's just heat some water, add the wort. add to the fermenter with cold water, add the yeast wait 1 week in primary and 2 weeks in secondary. Bottle with sugar to prime and wait 3 weeks.

The waiting is the hardest part and the brewing takes around 30 minutes.

I guess my advice is you can't make good extract kits without spending around £14.

If you want cheap beer then you're better getting the cans from Asda for 28p. But I guess that's not what you want.

The other thing I meant to mention is that when you said you wanted to do the Edwort's apple thing but it was goin to cost £30. Why not do one gallon to try it? I did.

Asda apple juice 5@58p plus 1k of sugar@75p.
Ferment in a demijohn or a 3L water bottle and it's ready in a short time.
Be careful though....it's rocket fuel.

i supose i could do that yea, but i really wanted some ready as soon as possible

and if i did one gall, after 4 weeks id get to try it but then id have to wait another 4 weeks to drink more lol

i think im gonna risk the apple wine as everyone says i wont go wrong with it :p

gonna sell a guitar if i can to pay my dad back what i owe him

that way i can lend more money haha

Back