How Maris Otter was named

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troy2000

Reaction score
I've wondered for a while how a malting barley wound up with a name like 'Maris Otter,' so I finally did a little research (fancy word for googling and surfing the 'net).

Maris Lane is a street in Trumpington, a village outside of Cambridge, England. In 1955 the Plant Breeding Institute, part of Cambridge University's School of Agriculture, moved to Anstey Hall, adjoining Maris Lane. PBI began tagging plants it was developing with the name of the street: Maris Piper potatoes, Maris Widgeon wheat, etc. And of course, Maris Otter barley.

Dr. G. D. H. Bell, who became PBI's Director in 1948, had earlier developed Pioneer barley, the first winter-hardy malting barley bred in England. He continued working on barley, and the different strains were named after animals: Maris Mink, Maris Otter, Maris Puma, etc.

According to Wikipedia, Maris Otter (a cross between Pioneer and Proctor) was developed 'for the express purpose of producing a barley variety that would give consistently high quality malt for the cask-conditioned ale market.' It was released in 1966, and quickly became the most commonly grown malting barley in England. But over time its quality declined because of cross-pollination and use of uncertified seed, and it was superceded by modern high-yield, easier to grow varieties.

In the 90's a consortium bought the sole rights to Maris Otter from PBI; they began cleaning it up and paying select farmers a premium to grow it. In 2002 the rights to Maris Otter were sold to H Banham Ltd and Robin Appel Ltd, who apparently have continued to improve and safeguard the strain.

As I mentioned, Maris Otter barley is a cross between Proctor and Pioneer. I've learned that Dr. Bell was also responsible for developing Proctor; it was a cross between Spratt Archer and Kenia, a high-yielding (for the time) but inferior for malting Danish barley.

It's starting to look like I could write a book.... but I'm too busy and too lazy, and I'm betting someone else has already written it anyway. :)

Writing is a good way to generate some passive income though. I'm editing my first book now. gotta get off my butt & get it out there. Still figuring out the business side of it now though...:mug:

Fascinating stuff.

NBC's_The_More_You_Know.jpg

Thanks for the good info.

And as far as small publishing - Amazon.com has your back there... My brother-in-law publishes his own books through Amazon

And I used to work with someone called Maris Piper. Seriously.

Its a great potato variety, apparently the best for chips

https://www.lovepotatoes.co.uk/potato-varieties/maris-piper

Looks like they were busy there, i think theres quite a few varieties with Maris as a prename, I know Maris Bard is another potato and i'm sure there are others. I suspect that any plant breeding there has since been privatised

I seem to remember listening to a BBC podcast recently mentioning that the pure seed strain of Maris Otter is grown in one field thats rigorously checked over by hand for abnormal ears of corn to keep the strain pure.

Latest posts

Back