How much beer do you keep on hand?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
shelly_belly said:
Can only make 15 gallons every 3 months per state law.
What state are you in??
That's just inhumane if you ask me.

S/He's in Alabama

SB,
How do they know how much you are brewing? are you buying your ingredients from the Police?

Personally, I brew as much or as little as I want. I have 5x5g batches in bottles right now. Obviously I have drank a few out of each of those batches, so I can't say with any certainty exactly how much beer is left since I haven't counted them.

That being said, I'm getting ready to do a double brew day this weekend in preparation for the 4 tap keezer I'm in the process of building :tank:.

I do all my brewing in the Spring or Fall (not too hot or too cold) and build up to about 400 bottles or so. When it looks like it's time to start brewing I go at it until I'm done and the basement is once again full of neatly stacked cases.

bosco

I keep around 60 litres in the garage and replace them as I go through them. Am starting to build up a supply of higher gravity brews which I want to keep for longer periods (e.g. 6 months +)

I haven't considered pipeline much yet. I've given away about 1/2 of what I've brewed. I've slowed down giving it away to neighbors because I've been sending bottles off with trades and bringing them to a LHBS so they too can sample. I still pretty much give 1/2 away. I go in phases of drinking. I'll have a few beers a night and a few more than that Friday/Saturday then I'll just drink on the weekends for a bit. I really have to rhyme or reason for how much and how often I drink.

I'd say that it is good practice to have a couple cases of homebrew on hand as NBBC13 says. this way if you brew again then you're not growing impatient waiting. If you drink as little as you do, brew gallon batches or 3 gallon batches if you wish to share a little. I don't feel like buying craft beer sucks though. I get a lot of inspiration from the beer I buy and I do indeed call it research. :)

Right now I've got 6 cases in bottles, one five gallon keg conditioning, and 20 gallons in primary or secondary; 15 of those are ready to keg as soon as I get the rest of my kegs in (just started kegging).

With my four kegs, I like the 2-2-2 rule. 2 ready to drink, 2 carbing (ready to try every once in a while), 2 fermenting. This prevents me from wasting beer by drinking it greener than I ought to.

I have capacity to keep 9 beers on tap, I try to keep a pipeline going to have at least 7 beers on, with conditioning kegs for rotation. That said, I am down to 5 beers on (1 of which is a sour), with 10 gallons beer in secondary (5 of which is going to a festival) and 5 gallons about to go to secondary. The 5 going to secondary is a Vienna lager, so this won't be tapped for a couple months of lagering. I am freaking out. I just haven't had time to brew and keep up the pipeline. I took monday off to brew, and I haven't even had time to dial up a recipe I want to brew. I'm a pathetic excuse for a brewer right now. Aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I need to brew!

Usually around 50 gallons, not counting what's in the fermenters.

If I get down to 35 gallons, I feel like I'm "running out of beer".

I have fifteen 5 gallon kegs, and four 3 gallon kegs.

:ban:

The correct answer is as much as swmbo will allow. With that said I have 2 kegs in the fridge, 2 kegs conditioning, 2 carboys in long term aging and another 5 gallons ready to rack over to keg. When we move into our house in march and I build a keezer then I'll have 6 kegs in it with 2 on stand by plus aging at all times. And I don't drink that much either. A beer or two a night tops. Some nights none.

+1 to what SWMBO will allow.

S/He's in Alabama

SB,
How do they know how much you are brewing? are you buying your ingredients from the Police?

Personally, I brew as much or as little as I want. I have 5x5g batches in bottles right now. Obviously I have drank a few out of each of those batches, so I can't say with any certainty exactly how much beer is left since I haven't counted them.

That being said, I'm getting ready to do a double brew day this weekend in preparation for the 4 tap keezer I'm in the process of building :tank:.

They do surprise visits on account of my probation - Don't drink and drive.

I just started brewing a couple months ago but my plan is to have

2-3 cases of bottles in beer fridge
2-3 cases of bottles carbing up
2-3 5gallon batches brewing
And I have a 3 gallon carboy and the Mr beer LBK that I do cider in at least 1-2 times a month

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

Right now I have 1 case of hard lemonade in fridge

2 cases of apple ale carbing
2 cases of a cascade apa carbing
1.5 cases of a strawberry wheat carbing

5 gallons of cream ale fermenting

2 gallons of cinnamon cider fermenting

Bout to brew

5 gallons vanilla bourbon porter
5 gallons honey wheat
5 gallons american amber
5 gallons strawberry pale ale

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

Been trying to expand my pipeline, but have hit a ceiling in storage space, so until I move to a bigger place I think my current setup is maxed.

I try to keep 2-3 cases bottle conditioning
2 corney kegs full
and my 3 fermenters full (2) 6.5 gallon and (1) 6 gallon.

It's a challenge sometimes and I have to adjust according to fermentation rates and what not. Luckily I have a great SWMBO who doesn't complain too much.

I try to keep the pipeline rolling with 2 kegs on tap. 3rd keg ready to go. One lagering and one fermenting

Exactly. And who knows when you made that brew. You can make it, and maybe you're just aging it. That's what I do with my barrels... :)

Back