How much do you pay for beer gas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paranode

Reaction score
I am having a really hard time finding people who will fill a smaller sized container of beer gas around here (and I live in DFW!). I must have called 50 welding, gas, etc shops and most said no. Best I can find is 20lb tank fill for about $39 with a $100 deposit on the cylinder. Does that sound about normal?

I imagine that amount for serving only would last me a pretty long time right?

I am going to assume you are reffering to "Beer Gas" as the CO2/Nitro mix. An even her in OKC, the price is about the same. I had only found one that would do it but they had to special order it.

If you are callin CO2 "Beer Gas" then you are getting ripped. For straight CO2 I pay between $12 - $19 per 20 pounds.

Local place here does beer gas for $18 to fill a 20 cu ft N2 tank (about the same size as a 5# CO2 tank).

Is that a welding supply shop or are you finding it elsewhere?

edit: I finally did find a place that will fill smaller containers. I'll have to go buy one somewhere tho. Don't really want to rent a huge 20 pounder.

I goto a welding supply shop in my area which is part of Praxair but not a Praxair facility. They charge me $10 for a swap of a full 5lb bottle.

Wild variations around Hotlanta:

$12 for 10 lbs. CO2 swap

$18 for 5 lbs. CO2 fill

$16 for 2.5 lbs. CO2 fill

$37.50 for 5 lbs. beer gas fill.

I just thought I'd update this thread for posterity in case anyone in the Dallas area has trouble getting beer gas. I got my 20cf cylinder with 580 valve filled at Garland Welding Supply and the total was $11.69. I'm happy now. :D

Supposedly Metroplex Welding in Fort Worth fills them also but that's way out of my way.

I had to buy the tank and the C02 in it for an initial cost of $50, im hoping to never pay more than $20 for refills. Had to walk it back home in a snowstorm, uphill both ways.

3 places nearby, all for 5lb of CO2 . . .

Place 1: $18 for a swap (they give you dirty steel ones in exchange for your pretty never-used aluminum) // VERDICT: FAYL
Place 2: $29 for a swap (they give you a tank that is grungy and 5 years removed from its fill date) // VERDICT: FAYL
Place 3: $12 for a fillup, takes about 45 seconds // VERDICT: DING DING DING WE HAVE A WINNER :mug:

What is the advantage in favor of beer gas vs straight CO2? I just ordered and new setup and didn't know you could do this...

Back