How often do you change out your beer lines.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Special Hops

Reaction score
Took my tap tower apart and peaked inside. My beer lines were seriously discolored. I have had them for probably 4-5 years. Typically I flush with Star-san every-time I swap a keg. And run beer-line cleaner through them every so often.

I pulled everything apart and will head by the LBSH today to pick up some new tubing. I am thinking this was long overdue.

How often do you replace them? How often do you clean them?

Well, this will sound horrible but... I have never cleaned my lines. I probably will out of guilt one of these days, but I've never noticed any off-putting flavors or had any issues with things growing in my lines, so I just haven't bothered.

This is probably one of those "don't do what I do" moments though. :p

im no expert on this and can only say what i have read. it is recommended to clean out your beer lines with beer-line cleaner every half keg.

Probably depends on the type of beer line, the ones with the "glasslike" interrior coatings (Like Bev-Seal) probably need to be cleaned less and the BLC takes care of a lot. I haven't changed mine yet after 2 years.

Well, this will sound horrible but... I have never cleaned my lines. I probably will out of guilt one of these days, but I've never noticed any off-putting flavors or had any issues with things growing in my lines, so I just haven't bothered.

This is probably one of those "don't do what I do" moments though. :p

I never really noticed an off taste either. It may just be coloration of the tubing.but maybe I have a taste from them that I am just so used to.

im no expert on this and can only say what i have read. it is recommended to clean out your beer lines with beer-line cleaner every half keg.

Every half keg meaning every half corny? or every half commercial keg?

Probably depends on the type of beer line, the ones with the "glasslike" interrior coatings (Like Bev-Seal) probably need to be cleaned less and the BLC takes care of a lot. I haven't changed mine yet after 2 years.

they were the original lines that came with the taps. Not sure what type. I am going to replace them with some nice lines though.

I change the lines once a year. I clean the lines after a keg finishes, 3 kegs means if one goes all 3 lines get cleaned. If 2 kegs empty pretty close to each other I will skip the cleaning.

Cleaning based upon 1/2 a keg does not take into account how long it takes to drink a keg.

The real important part IMO is the tap itself. If your not cleaning the lines frequently you might consider removing the tap and soaking it in cleaning solution frequently. Don't forget to disconnect the QD from the keg first (yet to do this goof yet, although just took a Helles shower the other day from a stuck poppet).

Back