How To Sour A Brewferm Kriek.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeeH

Reaction score
I've never used the cherry you linked to. It might be the only way to get the same type of cherries used in a kreik. I wonder if you can find a sour cherry puree like the ones from vintners harvest.
It seems like this is a mixture of sour cherry and malt extract of some kind. Not sure how much of an authentic kriek you are gonna get. That being said, I'm talking out of my butt having never used the product before.

I can help...

What size batch?

FYI a beer like this will take about a year to be ready.
If you want something faster, you have other options.

What online homebrew stores are good for your location?

That's expensive, 26 pounds ($35) for 3 gallons.

I found a thread about the beer, it sounds like it is just a regular ale with the sourness due to the addition of acidic fruit. Not a real kriek, but may be along the lines of Lindemans which is a lot sweeter than a traditional Kriek, and seems to be preferred by Women.

https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/brewferm-kriek-review.18201/

A traditional Kriek with complex sour flavors will take about 2 years. Looks like this one is ready in about a month.

If you want to go the traditional way, it can be pretty simple (or as complicated as you want to make it). A simple Kriek can be brewed:

- Extract wort to 1.050, minimal hops, and a max IBU of 10.
- Add a Belgium Lambic/Sour yeast mix
- Use a well sealed fermenter (not a bucket), and keep headspace as small as practical
- Put fermenter out of the way for 18 months. Ignore anything that develops on the surface (it is supposed to).
- After 18 months, add sour cherry juice, or move onto sour cherries (break the skins, but do not remove the stones). Leave for at least 3 months.
- Bottle as a normal beer. It may be slow to carbonate. You can speed up carbonation by adding fresh yeast at bottling.

Another option to sour the beer would be to go the Berliner route, and sour the wort for a week before adding yeast. This provides a less complex sourness, but can be more refreshing. For this you would need to use Lactobacillus (buy from yeast suppliers, use probiotic tablets, use yogurt sour mix, or other method) and maintain wort at 100 F (40 C) for about a week to get the wort sour, and then go through the brew process.

Last edited:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/sour-cherry-wheat-fast-and-fake-kriek.460657/

This is the idea if you want something for drinking soon. Not sure how it works with kits but its pretty simple recipe and you could likely avoid the kit altogether and just get the grains and yeast and be in good shape. Not a real kriek but youll get her a sour cherry. Lighter and brighter vs darker and richer, but if you dont want to wait 2 years.....

Back