Howdy Brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have spent a little over $400 in the past 3 months mostly on DuoTight products, BrewDemon 3-gallon fermenters, some bottles, and some ingredient kits. They are based in Texas. Their service and shipment to Nebraska was good (neither bad, nor outstanding). The fermenters were drop shipped from the BrewDemon but the ingredient kits appeared to come from Howdy Brewer's inventory. Although their prices seem to be a little on the high side, they do have a rewards system, and I have made use of it, but it is not a big enough perk to make me a dedicated customer.

My first choice go-to companies are MoreBeer and Northern Brewer. IMHO Northern Brewer and MoreBeer have provided excellent service and quick shipping (especially Northern Brewer). Both have been very attentive and have corrected any order problems (although they have been very minor) both quickly and professionally.

At this point, the only time I check with Howdy Brewer is if I cannot get what I need from MoreBeer or Northern Brewer.

- Dave

I found their communcation lacking at first, and they didn't send my entire order, but they did apologize and send a $20 coupon.

I bought a GrainFather G40 from them because they were the only online retailer who actually gave me free shipping. All the other usual suspects who claimed to give free shipping for orders over $X changed their story when I tried to check out with this product because it required freight shipment, not UPS or USPS given its weight. Howdy came through with free shipping. The product arrived quickly and in great shape. I have no complaints whatsoever.

Double checking my order...I had a slightly different post written but I was incorrect.

I ordered two sacks of grain and a ten pound bag from them Friday and receipt was estimated for Tuesday. Monday afternoon there was no movement so I emailed them. It was 5:30pm and I received a computer generated response that my email was received and my request was being reviewed. Tuesday I received a real email saying my order shipped and would come today (Thursday). They apologized for the delay. The shipment arrived today. No complaints about the minor delay, the order was made Friday and no issue with the communications. The prices were also very good on the grain sacks when I ordered.

Something of a complaint is that I did not see anywhere on the product pages nor in the shipping policy that some products didn't qualify for free shipping on orders over $75. And I completely expect that with grain sacks but it said free shipping on the product pages at the top for orders over $75 and I even checked the shipping policy page. It doesn't say it there. I did not see the charge when I was checking out. It could have been there and I missed it. It was on my confirmation email when I went back and looked at it however. The two sacks were on sale, and one of them is no longer on the website. The other does say after scrolling the page down in small print a shipping surcharge my apply to items over 40 lbs. When you click on the cart to checkout, the sidebar says your order qualifies for free shipping. And while you are checking out, it also says Free Shipping if you go to the cart page. My fault for not checking carefully at the end in detail. My complaint is that there is no asterick on nearly every reference to the free shipping policy except one spot where there is no note attached to the asterick. On the shipping policy page, no mention is made about surchages for orders over 40 lbs. There are a lot of big fonts used and then small fonts used. I think that the website needs a little more work to be clear about when it applies. There was a paragraph about freight deliveries on the shipping page where the Free Delivery bar has an asterick. As far as the surcharge, it is completely reasonable for the two sacks of grain I ordered, really pretty good in fact given shipping prices lately. It was two oversize boxes weighing more than 50lbs each. If you order more than one sack, you might actually do well as far as the shipping, just read the fine print and check the total carefully at the end.

Last edited:
Back