I dont get Mr. Malty and yeast calculators

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CliffMongoloid

Reaction score
man i am confused.

been trying to figure out Mr. Malty and other yeast calculators and i just dont get it.

I am brewing on Sat and doing a 9.5 gallon batch. random amount i know but 4 gallons will get us-05 , 4 will get conan yeast and 1.5 will get S-04

The us-05 and conan both came from washed batches of yeast, i used 1 half pint jar of the us-05 and one pint or quart jar ( cant rememeber) of the conan. I made the starters 2 nights ago (tuesday night) and they seem both to be working fine.

My question is how do i use mr malty to calcualte how much yeast i need with that much washed yeast?

If you were not using a new starter think I'd use the re-pitching from slurry and since you washed it maybe thin it a bit and reduce the non-yeast in it to 10% or less. So, that when I play with it comes out to be around 170 ml which is roughly 3/4 a cup of slurry per 4.5 gallon batch. Around that amount you should be just fine, so if you had that to start with or can collect that much slurry from your starters I'd say your good to go.

Otherwise I'd say if you have less than that saved then just use the starter calculator for liquid yeast, I typically have quite a bit of yeast to begin with with that kind of start so I usually would put the calculator setting to a 'smaller starter' - which would say you need to make about 2-2.5 liters of starter for a batch with this OG.

how much should i figure is in the washed yeast to begin with?

so i used 1 pint of water so i only made a .5 liter starter.... i wont have enought yeast will i?

i am going to make a 1.5 liter starter for each one when i get home... cool it and place the starters in the fridge over night... tomorrow morning i will decant both and add the 1.5 liter of starter to each one and let it go until saturday morning... would that be correct?

That would be a safe way to go. Should work fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You will be fine with what you are doing.

Mr. Malty is worse than useless for slurry. It is a nice try at a difficult estimation but it is way too conservative. After you think you have figured out the slurry/trub content, you get hit by a very conservative viability calculator, which assumes almost all yeast is dead after a month. It assumes something like 10% viability after 1 month, which, if stored correctly is obviusly wrong, and then stays at 10% for 12 months. I might agree with the number for 12 months.

After looking at it for a couple of brews, I don't bother now, because it has no useful information for slurry.

Latest posts

Back