I have a 3 gallon kettle question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SHbrewing

Reaction score
I would like to move from extract to AG.

My question is can I brew a 3 gallon AG batch, with a 48 quart mashtun and boil the wort in a **3 gallon kettle**??

Or is it possible to pull off 2.5 gallons? I've uploaded my recipes to Beersmith and scaled to a 3 gallon. But under my equipment profile, the only option for 3 gallon kettle is extract. So im not sure if my numbers are converting properly.

I would scale down a recipe to fit your pot until you can get a bigger pot plus will give you an ideal of the AG process before you spend the $$ to upgrade. If you don't have a burner, you can pick up a burner and 7.5 gallon pot combo at Home Depot for under a $100. I have that and it has worked out great. But if you can go bigger on the pot, then go for it. I am about to spring for SS 15 gallon pot.

You can top off all grain batches, though you may lose some efficiency and it may be hard to do high gravity beers. I usually do 3 gal batches in my 5 gal pot but occasionally do 5 gal batches topping off with water. You need to tell Beersmith what to do - modify an equipment profile to fit your needs. You will want to choose a batch size of 3 gals and then enter top off water, you'll have to figure out how much you can boil but will probably need to top off with at least a gallon. You can add sparge wort as you go also, maybe increasing your boil time. Or you can do a partial mash and add a little DME as well as top off water.

You could top up, but that is a bit of complicated thing to figure out. You need to brew a little stronger then dilute to a certain OG.

You will need a 5 gallon pot to do a 3 gallon boil. Depending on your heat you will boil off between 3/4 gallon to 2 gallons per hour. You start off with more wort than you will end up with but you also need some space for foam that forms at the beginning of a boil. At least 3-4 inches in the top of the kettle.

You can get a 5 gallon pot at the grocery store for about $20. Aluminum is OK if you passivate it. Boil a pot full of water to create an oxidized layer, do not scrub off the gray color.

You could top up, but that is a bit of complicated thing to figure out. You need to brew a little stronger then dilute to a certain OG.

It's actually not complicated at all. If I want 5 gals of 1.050 beer I brew 3 gals of 1.083 wort (5 x 50=250 gravity pts / 3 = 83). But if using Beersmith just put in your top off volume and it will calculate everything. If you want to brew bigger batches on a regular basis I agree it's probably worth it to get a bigger pot but it can easily be done if you want to give it a go.

It's actually not complicated at all. If I want 5 gals of 1.050 beer I brew 3 gals of 1.083 wort (5 x 50=250 gravity pts / 3 = 83). But if using Beersmith just put in your top off volume and it will calculate everything. If you want to brew bigger batches on a regular basis I agree it's probably worth it to get a bigger pot but it can easily be done if you want to give it a go.

Where do I find top off volume within the recipe?

I agree that it is not too complicated for someone with some experience but I would not suggest that procedure for a beginner,

Where do I find top off volume within the recipe?

In the equipment profile, on the right under fermentation there is a top up water field. Or you can go to the volumes page. You want the fermenter top up not kettle top up, that is pre-boil.

Back