I need some control, Damn It!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surfbrewer

Reaction score
I'll never brew another Belgian. Until I get some temperature control that is. I've tried a handful of times to use belgian yeast and each time I have ended up with less than desirable results.

But no more! I will gain control over my yeast through the use of proper temperature control. No more will I suffer excessive esters and phenols. I will build a new fermentation system and I will finally be able to brew the "perfect" Belgian.

Prost!

surfbrewer said:
I'll never brew another Belgian. Until I get some temperature control that is. I've tried a handful of times to use belgian yeast and each time I have ended up with less than desirable results.

White Labs Abbey is a really good yeast for belgians ... nice belgian flavor with very little esters. I don't try to keep my belgians cool, but I do ferment in my basement where the temp rarely goes about 66°F.

Most people underestimate the importance of fermentation temp control. I say, good on you for realizing this now! It took me a few batches before I paid enough attention to it.

I'd suggest Wyeast 1762 for Belgians. It's the strain from Abbey Rochefort. yumyumyum.

I hear you my friend. Get yourself a freezer a thermostat control and fret no more.

You've got that right! I've started looking for a chest freezer to convert. The problem is that I'm a cheap bastard and I'm holding out for a free one to come along :)

Cheers

Back