I need some help with my gravity calculations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MindenMan

Reaction score
We are working on a ice cider of sorts, and I am not sure I am using the correct formula to figure what our theoretical (or actual) O.G. is or was.

1 quart of 3 apple blend at 1.040
2-1/2 12oz cans of FAJC

Three months later (today) I added 6-12oz cans of FAJC to the above 1/2 gallon and the current gravity reading is 1.126

I failed to hydro at the beginning but here is what I am thinking, if one can raises a gallon by 14 points, then 2.5 x 14 x 4 (?) comes up to 1.190 which seems to be a bit high.

And today's addition of 6 cans bringing a reading of 1.126 just does not make sense. How about some help here, please?

If I understand correctly, you added six cans to a fermented batch. From what little I know about wine and cider, you don't know the gravity before adding the six cans, so you don't know how many gravity points they added. So you don't know the ppg of the concentrate. But it does seem to me like a lot of concentrate added to that small amount of cider. Or maybe I missed something.

Yes, I did add concentrate to a partially fermented batch of cider; it's called, "Staggered nutrient additions", and please if you can't be helpful or positive don't post to my thread.

Sorry - I didn't mean to be offensive. Just that I don't think you can do that calculation if you don't know the gravity before adding the extra concentrate.

I didn't mean to sound like an a$$, I apologize.

I checked the gravity of the other pre-started cider before the additional FAJC, the gravity was 1.026. Does anyone have any help to offer me now?

Yes, I did add concentrate to a partially fermented batch of cider; it's called, "Staggered nutrient additions", and please if you can't be helpful or positive don't post to my thread.

You asked for help, the other poster was asking for clarification on the process and measurements. Berating someone for trying to offer help is the wrong way to go about it.

I would have offered to help, but your attitude wasn't called for. Good luck with trying to figure this out. :smack:

Back