I screwed up again. ARGH!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devils4ever

Reaction score
I screwed up again!

I brewed an American Wheat Ale and a Blonde Ale last weekend and was intending on keeping the temperature at 60F for the first week to get a very clean profile. Unfortunately, I set my temperature to 20C which I thought to myself, at the time, that is 60F. Of course, 20C is 68F. I was getting a much more vigorous fermentation than I expected. I realized my mistake after cleaning up the mess twice. I normally don't need a blowoff tube when I keep the temperature at the low end of the yeast range. I used Wyeast 1010 for the American Wheat and Wyeast 1272 for the Blonde.

I lowered the temperature to 62F after realizing my mistake (about 5-6 days). So, did I ruin my beer? Will it give me a clean taste even with the higher temperature? I didn't want to lower it too much for fear of stalling the yeast. Wyeast 1010 temperature range is 58-74F and 1272 is 60-72F.

Thoughts?

You can go higher with low ABV beers. 68 is wheelhousefor both those.

Cooling it to 62 however after 5 days might have ruined them. This is when the yeast needed to be warm to clean up any potential diacetyl or other off flavors. Any “esters” created by the 68* Ferm temp were created in the first 48 hours or so.

I would warm it back up for sure and taste a sample of to for diacetyl. Often times it only takes a slight temp drop for yeast to flocc or just quit, it depends on the yeast.

You’ll probably be fine though. Might have a little fruitiness but honestly it might add something interesting to those beers. Just check to make sure diacetyl is all gone. I’d warm em up to 72 now just to be sure.

Latest posts

Back