I Think Acid Malt Is Giving Me Allergies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ido50

Reaction score
Been brewing for five years now. Never had the chance to brew with Acidulated Malt before since it is quite rare in Israel. Decided to brew my first lager, and bought a bit of Weyermann Acid Malt from the only LHBS that carries it.

I got enough acid malt for two batches, so I had the lager with most of the acid malt, and an ale with whatever was left. The ale finished first, and I noticed that whenever I drank from it, I would quickly get into a crazy sneezing spree and have a runny nose.

At first I thought there may be other causes, like me accidentally sucking a bit of Iodophor into the keg. But yesterday I finally put the lager on tap and the same thing happened. I had other beers (not mine) during the time and nothing happened.

The reason I'm suspecting the acid malt is that it's the only thing I've never used before.

Anyone thinks the lactic acid or something else in the acid malt is a possible allergen? Other ideas?

If it helps, the lager ingredients were:
2200g Pilsen Malt
120g Acid Malt
60g Hallertauer Mittelfrüher
11g Saflager W-34/70
13.75g Go-Ferm

The ale ingredients were:
2600g Maris Otter
1200g Wheat Malt
400g Melanoidin Malt
80g Acid Malt
70g Cara 200
30g Crystal Malt
30g Huell Melon
11g Danstar Abbaye
13.75g Go Ferm

Both are 2.5 gallon batches.

Thanks.

Lactic acid is present in a lot of foods -- yogurt, pickled vegetables, wine, sourdough bread, etc. Have you noticed any problems with these?

If not, maybe there is some other component to the malt that you are sensitive to. It would be interesting to make a beer with lactic acid instead of acidulated malt to see if you have the same reaction.

You've used that lager yeast strain before? It is a different yeast type than ale yeast but it's still saccharomyces so that would be a long shot.

Acid malt is malt that has some lactic acid in it, so I think that would also be a long shot. But it is a puzzle, that's for sure.

I've never used the lager yeast before, but like I said, this happened with the ale batch too.

I don't have any problem with any dairy products or anything that has lactic acid (but both my mother and sister have a bit of lactose allergy).

It's weird, I'm starting to get worried I might be developing some beer allergy. That would suck.

I've never used the lager yeast before, but like I said, this happened with the ale batch too.

I don't have any problem with any dairy products or anything that has lactic acid (but both my mother and sister have a bit of lactose allergy).

It's weird, I'm starting to get worried I might be developing some beer allergy. That would suck.

Lactose (milk sugar) and lactic acid (souring bacteria) aren't related. Lactic acid is predominant in some sour beers, naturally fermented pickles, some cheese, etc. Lactic acid isn't a dairy thing.

You could try ordering some more acid malt and eating the grains to see if they cause a problem?

Lactose (milk sugar) and lactic acid (souring bacteria) aren't related. Lactic acid is predominant in some sour beers, naturally fermented pickles, some cheese, etc. Lactic acid isn't a dairy thing.

I wouldn't necessarily say they aren't related. They just aren't the same thing. While it was brought up before, I don't know if the OP is including it in "dairy products", but there's certainly lactic acid in yogurt.

Funny you should mention that, usually on my first beer of the day I will sneeze/stuffy nose for about ten minutes. My wife thinks Im allergic to beer!!! (I Think she wants it all to herself!) It goes away quickly for me, but it happens every time I drink my homebrew.
By the way, I use acid malt in almost all of my daily drinkers.

I'd think it's hops related...
As malt.. is malt...
Or better said. ..
Barley is barley...
Regardless of treatment...
Roasted, malted, smoked, flsked, acidulated... etc

Funny you should mention that, usually on my first beer of the day I will sneeze/stuffy nose for about ten minutes. My wife thinks Im allergic to beer!!! (I Think she wants it all to herself!) It goes away quickly for me, but it happens every time I drink my homebrew.
By the way, I use acid malt in almost all of my daily drinkers.

Interesting. I'll try to ride it out next time and see what happens.

It's the lacto ferment that they put the grain through to acidify it (at least German/Weyermann - rumour has it the US versions are literally just sprayed with lactic acid then dried).

It's the same process that makes milk into yogurt and fermented cheeses with sulfonated proteins suitable for emulsifying fats without denaturing them. The eating of which is considered the cure for Cancer in Eastern Europe. (I am not BS'ing.)

Please don't ask me to explain the chemistry, I just know that I am sensitive to Sulfur in many forms, and this is why.

It's the lacto ferment that they put the grain through to acidify it (at least German/Weyermann - rumour has it the US versions are literally just sprayed with lactic acid then dried).

It's the same process that makes milk into yogurt and fermented cheeses with sulfonated proteins suitable for emulsifying fats without denaturing them. The eating of which is considered the cure for Cancer in Eastern Europe. (I am not BS'ing.)

Please don't ask me to explain the chemistry, I just know that I am sensitive to Sulfur in many forms, and this is why.

I see, very interesting. I'm waiting for my next, acid-malt-free batch, hopefully I won't be having these symptoms again.

Some malts - I'm thinking Pilsner - and some yeasts - like Lager yeasts - are also known to be more sulfur-y.

Back