I want to keg!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NurseNan

Reaction score
I'm having issues convincing my husband that kegging is the way to go. He could have his BMC type beers on one side, and I could have what I want on the other side...I could even have a tap for cider and one for mead!

However, in order to convince him, I need to answer some of his questions. How long does beer last in a keg? Or should I ask, if no one is drinking it, how long will it stay good for? He thinks kegs are for parties only, and that the beer will go bad in a matter of weeks.

Also, what size kegs are available? It would be nice to have smaller kegs for mead and cider. How long does it take to set up a system? What are the minimum equipment requirements for a running system?

Thanks for the help, I'm getting sick of bottling, and sick of washing bottles.

Kegs come in lots of sizes. Generally for homebrew, you're dealing with 5 gal sizes. You can also buy 2.5 and 3 gal sizes, but they cost lots more, so unless size is an issue, go with the 5s (corny or firestone style) and just fill them halfway. Much cheaper, just as effective.

Beer will last plenty long in a keg. It's no different than bottling beer, just a different size. You still need to be careful about sanitation, and it's nice because NOW you can purge your keg with CO2. I've also had problems lately with a batch of bottle bombs - not an issue anymore either. The beers that age best are the same ones that age best in bottles - your higher abv and more hoppy beers will do best, but most things should be fine for a few months.... And basically, nothing will last that long, unless you make a 25 gal. batch every weekend.

Setting up a system? Depends if you go in all at once or slowly acquire your parts - which really means, how fast do you want to spend your money. Basically, if you have your equipment, you can hook everything up in a matter of hours.

You'll need a tank, a primary regulator, either secondary regulators (different pressures) or a manifold (all the same pressure) - lines for gas and beer (my 4 kegs used nearly 50' of line), kegs obviously, taps, somewhere to keep it cold, and a handfull of other small hardware pieces.

hope that's a little help.

kvh.

I have a barley wine in a keg that is 4 years old. Most brews are fine for 6-8 months. Since I'm the only one drinking (the greyhounds are teetotalers), this is important.

Have you tried making a Lite American ale or a Mild? Keep the bitterness under 10 IBU and go easy on the flavor/aroma hops. He might be more interested if you find a recipe he likes.

The reason people think kegged beer goes bad is because all they've ever experienced is the keg sitting in a barrel of ice with an AIR pump attached to it. Obviously the stuff will oxidize overnight if you pump air into the container.

You can set yourself up with both corny keg style connections ball-lock or pinlock, and also have a Sanke coupler on hand for when you want to buy either 7 or 15 gallons of commercial beer kegs. You can even bring a corny to a brewpub and have them fill it.

Great info, everyone, but the arguement isn't working. Firstly, he thinks homebrewing is stupid and a waste of time. He is a BMC man, and won't drink anything else. He occasionally tastes the beer I make, but usually has nothing good to say about it...always too dark, to malty, too hoppy and too filling. He swills back the wine and mead, though. I'll try brewing something that is half corn and rice, we'll see how he likes that!

NurseNan said:
Firstly, he thinks homebrewing is stupid and a waste of time. He is a BMC man, and won't drink anything else.

You must really, really love this man.

Kegging is still the way to go. I started small - tank, regulator, one corny and lines - and just can't go back. I've converted our mostly-unused chest freezer to hold kegs, and have 9 cornys now. I'll probably pick up another couple next week. Every once in a while I think about bottling a batch again, but then my son is cleaning and sterilizing the bottles for his batch and I remember why I switched.

This past weekend we went camping with group and I pulled two kegs and a CO2 tank out. The kegs stood up in a cooler full of ice, and even with the cooler open and the sun shining, the ice was only half melted two days later. A great beer-time was had by all.

hnefatafl said:
You must really, really love this man.

Haha, I was thinking the exact same thing. :p It's a shame that we've created so many swill-loving, real beer-hating people with big American breweries. I suppose that you can try to explain to him that his BMC will last a lot longer with a real kegging system...other than that, good luck. :D

NurseNan said:
...Firstly, he thinks homebrewing is stupid and a waste of time. He is a BMC man, and won't drink anything else. He occasionally tastes the beer I make, but usually has nothing good to say about it...always too dark, to malty, too hoppy and too filling...

Remind him (lovingly) that beer is four ingredient: Water, Malted Barley, Hops and Yeast.

(CONTAINS NO RICE)

Ergo, he is not drinking beer when he consumes BMC, but has rather fallen victim to the commercials designed to sway the weak of mind into drinking their mass-produced, watery, high profit margin concoction...not because it is a quality product, but because it must be "cool" since they're doing it on TV.

Remind him (lovingly again), that were he to travel to the historical birth places of the great beers of the world, he would be laughed out of the bier gardens and pubs as a Nancy boy who cannot tolerate real beer...the way it was meant to be.

Suggest to him (lovingly), that you thought you married a man of strength, character, someone with a mind of his own who would never be suckered into consuming an inferior product simply because the TV said he should.

And if that doesn’t work… Brew what you want, build a five-tap kegerator and forget about him. :D

Freezer_WTaps.JPG

BierMuncher said:
Remind him (lovingly) that beer is four ingredient: Water, Malted Barley, Hops and Yeast.

And if that doesn’t work… Brew what you want, build a five-tap kegerator and forget about him. :D

Like how does that work? Where are the five kegs? Show me the guts of that thing. I must have it!

BM, do you find it a pain to have to choose which beers make it into which kegger? I'd seriously consider splitting the lines off the chest freezer and running a 5 faucet tower up on your kitchen counter.

NurseNan said:
Great info, everyone, but the arguement isn't working. Firstly, he thinks homebrewing is stupid and a waste of time. He is a BMC man, and won't drink anything else. He occasionally tastes the beer I make, but usually has nothing good to say about it...always too dark, to malty, too hoppy and too filling. He swills back the wine and mead, though. I'll try brewing something that is half corn and rice, we'll see how he likes that!

My head asplode.

In order to solve this problem, we need to know what we are up against.

Is it $$?
Space?
Control issue?

What is the objection?

We need to get all of this information so that we might create a script. Craft a strategy or two.
That way we can all benefit from our collective conniving.

NurseNan said:

Hey, It's your money, right? You earned it, you oughta be able to spend it how you want. Bottling is a HUGE pita, kegging is wonderful! Go for it!

Bernie Brewer said:
Hey, It's your money, right? You earned it, you oughta be able to spend it how you want. Bottling is a HUGE pita, kegging is wonderful! Go for it!

Exactly. If this hobby is a waste of time, he should be in favor of kegging because it will take less time to indulge in your hobby.

Bobby_M said:
BM, do you find it a pain to have to choose which beers make it into which kegger? I'd seriously consider splitting the lines off the chest freezer and running a 5 faucet tower up on your kitchen counter.

That would rock.

Actually, it’s just the opposite since I spend most my time downstairs in the brewshop. The upstairs taps are the lighter “house” ales for gals in the house and for company. But man… a five tap tower on the kitchen counter?

BierMuncher said:
That would rock.

Actually, it’s just the opposite since I spend most my time downstairs in the brewshop. The upstairs taps are the lighter “house” ales for gals in the house and for company. But man… a five tap tower on the kitchen counter?

And for when you can't negotiate stairs.

I don't get this. You are SWMBO. It isn't like you want to paint the house pink and decorate it in a Malibo Barbie theme. You are wanting DRAFT BEER. You are willing to make it and share it. I say MR. BMC needs to get out of the lounge chair and start building.

olllllo said:
Maybe Yooper has some sort of intervenion weekend package at her cabin.

Send the hubby up there for attitude re-asignment training.

It is simply a crime against all thing manly, a horrid crack in the universal order of things, that some guy would stand in the way of his wife's desire to set up a draft system. It is like cats and dogs co-habitating. It is just wrong.

Imagine MY frustration...now he says I'm brewing too much, and that I can't brew anymore! I only have 12 gallons of mead, 5 gallons of cyser, 15 gallons of beer and 5 gallona of hard lemonade fermenting, of which I am sharing the beer and lemonade with a brew buddy....I have 15 gallons of wine bottled, and about 5 gallons of assorted beer bottled...is that too much? I'm thinking its a control issue, and that I'm gonna have to kick him in the *ss! We'll see who's the boss around here.......

I think you need to send Yooper Chick a plane ticket.

[Although 12 gallons mead is a lot of mead, unless you're part Viking!]

NurseNan said:
I only have 12 gallons of mead, 5 gallons of cyser, 15 gallons of beer and 5 gallona of hard lemonade fermenting, have 15 gallons of wine bottled, and about 5 gallons of assorted beer bottled.......

If I didn't have a 7 tap cold box and two 24 gallong fermenters I would say you have too much booze, but since I do have a 7 tap cold box and two 24 gallon fermenters I say you need to get busy.

NurseNan said:
Imagine MY frustration...now he says I'm brewing too much, and that I can't brew anymore! I only have 12 gallons of mead, 5 gallons of cyser, 15 gallons of beer and 5 gallona of hard lemonade fermenting, of which I am sharing the beer and lemonade with a brew buddy....I have 15 gallons of wine bottled, and about 5 gallons of assorted beer bottled...is that too much? I'm thinking its a control issue, and that I'm gonna have to kick him in the *ss! We'll see who's the boss around here.......
Does he wear a dress and pink nail polish??:drunk:

NurseNan said:

Nan,

Grab a TrueBrew pilsner, brew it and throw it on tap for him. Cheap and easy for you, drinkable for him.

Also, remember that he is used to filtered rice water. Bottled conditioned homebrew, and it's sediment, may be turning him off. Again, keg it and carb it.

NurseNan said:
I'm thinking its a control issue, and that I'm gonna have to kick him in the *ss! We'll see who's the boss around here.......

No need to kick him anywhere. Just cut him off. Sooner or later, he'll see it your way....

david_42 said:
I think you need to send Yooper Chick a plane ticket.

[Although 12 gallons mead is a lot of mead, unless you're part Viking!]

I'm willing to try almost anything....What can Yooper Chick do that I haven't already tried? (you would not believe some of the things I've tried!)

NurseNan said:
I'm willing to try almost anything....What can Yooper Chick do that I haven't already tried? (you would not believe some of the things I've tried!)

Oh we wouldn't??? We'd like to hear about them though... (yeah you gotta put up with those comments on this forum)

Brewpastor said:
If I didn't have a 7 tap cold box and two 24 gallong fermenters I would say you have too much booze, but since I do have a 7 tap cold box and two 24 gallon fermenters I say you need to get busy.

LMAO!

I've tried punishing him, I've tried not punishing him. I've tried rewarding him, I've tried cutting him off....I suppose I could dig a hole in the woods, but then the life insurance wouldn't pay off ;)

Getting him to build me a system is a non-starter. DIY is not his strong poing; he isn't safe using power or hand tools. I get to build it or buy one already done.

NurseNan said:
I've tried punishing him, I've tried not punishing him. I've tried rewarding him, I've tried cutting him off....I suppose I could dig a hole in the woods, but then the life insurance wouldn't pay off ;)

Getting him to build me a system is a non-starter. DIY is not his strong poing; he isn't safe using power or hand tools. I get to build it or buy one already done.

Wait a minute... doesn't like real beer, won't let you get kegging system, can't be trusted with power or hand tools... he better be good in bed otherwise I have no Idea why you're still married!!

Brewing Clamper said:
Wait a minute... doesn't like real beer, won't let you get kegging system, can't be trusted with power or hand tools... he better be good in bed otherwise I have no Idea why you're still married!!

See previous thread on "How to tell...."

I'm still stumbling over the cut off thing. After a few weeks off being cut off, my wife could ask to brew road tar in my carbuoys and I'd offer to go and get them for her...
:ban:

Back