IBU's too low

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NFryan

Reaction score
So I had a recipe up scaling mishap and didn't realize it until after my brew day was over.

I scaled up a milk stout recipe I had used in the past and forgot to but increase the hops. It should have been around 23 IBU's.. I am currently showing 12 IBU's after the error.. Any suggestions on how I can fix this post brew day? Or should I ride it out and leave it alone?

Thanks

You could introduce a hop extract, but it might be at the risk of reducing head retention. If wheat was in your malt bill your might be ok.

Dry hopping in secondary will pick up some of the aromas and flavors, but you really can't isomerize hop components into those bitter flavors, that qualify as measurable (by our palate) IBUs, without exposing them to boiling temps for that critical hour that does just that.

I say "ride it out". Bottle some and gift it if it's not bitter enough for you.

You could introduce a hop extract, but it might be at the risk of reducing head retention. If wheat was in your malt bill your might be ok.

Dry hopping in secondary will pick up some of the aromas and flavors, but you really can't isomerize hop components into those bitter flavors, that qualify as measurable (by our palate) IBUs, without exposing them to boiling temps for that critical hour that does just that.

I say "ride it out". Bottle some and gift it if it's not bitter enough for you.

Thanks for the input.. I think I will just ride it out.. I has around 3 lbs of flaked wheat in the mash.. Im just hoping it doesn't taste too off. Just sucks realizing such a stupid error after a brew day..

Brew a second beer at 35 IBU and blend them together.

Thanks for the input lol.. Just spent the day making 15 gallons of milk stout. Now I'm just going to act like the mistake didn't happen LOL.... I have had a few other very low IBU stouts that tasted good.. Hopefully I don't wind up sitting on 15 gallons of beer no one wants to drink..

:pipe:I find people's tastes ranging towards more bitter all the time. Nonetheless I recently gave my local water treatment guy who gives me raw water for brewing a bottle of a brown ale in thanks for helping me obtain chloramine free brew water. It was a 10 gallons batch with 2 oz of magnum for 60 and 1.5 oz of cascade at 5 mins. His review? "The first foamy taste was fine, but then it got to be so bitter I had a hard time finishing it." He'll be getting a bottle of the stout I brewed yesterday. Only 1.5 Goldings for 60 mins. If that's still too bitter for him, we'll try some of yours! :rofl:

I think I recall reading something a long time ago about someone boiling a small amount of water with a bit of high alpha hops, and adding the result to their fermentor.

I have no experience, nor opinion on that, but just giving you something to look into.

Since it's a milk stout, it will just seem a bit sweeter. Not a problem.

One thing I learned in an 'Off-taste' class, most people have great difficulty identify IBU levels.

Back