Idea for Lowering Efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeqmaster

Reaction score
So my efficiencies have consistently been too high with my current mash/sparge methods... My setup is the usual two, 5 gallon rubbermaid coolers, false bottom, and simple sparge spray nozzle. Mash temps vary, however a mash-out of ~168 is always maintained. I use the fly-sparge technique, rinsing my grains with ~4.5 gallons of water in about 45min-60mins time. My efficiencies have been consistently 90% or above. What I have noticed with the batches that have been brewed with this efficiency are the following: 1. very dextrous, sweet beers. 2. Prolonged natural carbonation times. 3. Diacetyl (Possibly unrelated to the efficiency, however apparent in more than one beers). 4.Other off flavors (perhaps due to husk extraction).

My possible solutions to the problem are either drastically speed up my sparge time (say... 10-15 minutes), or move to batch sparging (which I have never tried).

What do ya'll think? Any other ideas?

Simply drop the grain bill, and adjust hops.

I don't think high efficiency is a "problem" though. The issues you indicate are not caused by high efficiency, but other problems. High efficiency does not cause off-flavors, for example.

Sweet beers are caused by different issues, but it sounds to me like maybe you mash too high.

Drop the correct % of the grain bill, and then solve your problems.

The only time efficiency can be a possible problem, is if your lauter eff. is way high and raising your PH too much.

If this is what you speak of, it is easy to fix. Mash with more water, use less sparge water, that is what I do.

The only issue I heard of that I can see is tannin extraction from the husks of the grain.

If your efficiency is that high I would start with looking at the grain crush. If all the husks are shredded, back off some. Then I would validate my sparge technique. Making sure not to over sparge or mashing out at too high of a temp.

Validate would be the key word. If you can feel comfortable with your processes used to obtain that high of an efficiency then roll with it.

I agree, why in the world would you want to drop efficiency? Save some bread and lower your grain bill -Totally agree with the validate the sparge -if your temps are spot-on, you may well be rinsing too slowly, and I second that on the crush.

I have always heard that efficiencies of 70-80 have the best outcomes... Decreasing the size of my grain-bill is only going to save me a couple bucks... This is why I thought it would be the best to just decrease my efficiency a little...

What is the gravity of your final runnings? If it drops below about 1.010, you are probably oversparging. I know that I usually have to stop the sparge nowadays before I've collected the full amount.

-a.

Back