Immersion chiller with electric boil kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gotbags-10

Reaction score
So I would like to go electric. Currently I use a IC. When I drop my chiller in the last 15 of my boil do I need to keep it off the element? I really don't want to do a new chiller

You generally want to prevent the element from damage, but many people still use an IC chiller. You could also incorporate the chiller into your kettle design, and leave it in through out the boil. Think of something like a HERMs cable, but in your BK.

I ended up getting a CFC sisnce I have a pump anyhow. Before I did though, the plan was to sanitize the chiller in solution instead of boiling it. Just setting it on the element with it off won't damage the element. Not sure about damage to either with it on though.

Hmm I may end up getting a CFC. I do have a pump also. I've just heard some mixed reviews

I soldered on a couple of 6 or 8 gauge bare wires to the coil with a hanger loop on each to hang over the lip of the pot. This keeps in off the heater elements.

This is also used in my HLT. I just move it from one to the other.

The only problem I have with IC cooling deals with sterilization; I like to put it in 15 minutes before the end of boil to sterilize, but liquid left in it from the HERMS use spits out of it due to boiling temperatures.

I just drop my CFC right in at 15 minutes and let it fly. I've done 20-30 brews this way with the same element with no troubles. She does spit a bit when I drop it in, but I know that so I can deal with it.

I didn't like the idea of the chiller resting on the element, so I fashioned a kettle hook out of some scrap copper tubing. Worked great.

ic-kettle-hook-64858.jpg

I never had an issue with the IC on the heating elements, but I also switched to a CFC.

Back