In Boulder for the MCI competition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

summersolstice

Reaction score
I arrived in Boulder ysterday for the Mazer Cup International competition. We'd intitially planned to judge the commercial entries today - Friday - and the home entries on Saturday. Well, we can handle judging the 150+ commercial entries fine today but with 250+ home entries we decided to get a start on them last night. I helped judge a flight of 8 meads in the Open category and a couple were very good. I'll post some photos for those who may be interested after the weekend.

Sounds like a lot of fun! You said you had some that were very good- did you have any that were very bad? I wonder about oxidation and high "hot" alcohol flavor in a poorly made mead.

I arrived in Boulder ysterday for the Mazer Cup International competition. We'd intitially planned to judge the commercial entries today - Friday - and the home entries on Saturday. Well, we can handle judging the 150+ commercial entries fine today but with 250+ home entries we decided to get a start on them last night. I helped judge a flight of 8 meads in the Open category and a couple were very good. I'll post some photos for those who may be interested after the weekend.

I have one in the Open category! :rockin:

I'm having a great time here in Boulder. It's fascinating just rubbing shoulders with some of the world's great meadmakers, let alone having a chance to sit side by side with them and judge the same meads. I've judged with meadmakers from Alaska, Ohio, Sweden, The Czech Republic, New Mexico, California, and who knows where else. There were some great meads yesterday in the commercial competition and I know the home competion will be just as good today.

CIMG0575.JPG

CIMG0546.JPG

CIMG0538.JPG

Thanks for the update summersolstice! The pictures look enticing. I'm dying to get some updates on the winners circle tasting. Please let the organizers know we are following on Facebook and looking for some fresh info. I know everyone is busy, but someone needs to use their crackberry and send out some tweets.

The Winner's Circle paired tasting event was a rousing success. The tickets were sold out and we had a full house. The hotel did a great job preparing the food and the pourers did their jobs well. I thought the best pairing was the chocolate covered bacon paired with the dark, sweet Polish dessert mead but the lox, bruchetta, stuffed figs, cheeses, flan, prosciutto, and all the rest went well with their respective meads as well.

Latest posts

Back