Inexpensive electrical panel box...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wmubronco

Reaction score
12x12x8" electrical boxes are onlt $36 at the home depot or lowes... I used them in a few builds now.. As other have said the boxes you found are going to be very tight since they are so small and shallow. (not to mention more difficult to use since there is no mounting plate and it steel )

24ga metal is way too thin....

0.025" vs a typical electrical enclosure of 0.050" or 0.060"

Last edited by a moderator:
As an alternative

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005T5GYBU/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I use the 10x10 box for my Strangebrew Elsinore box, not sure if 10x12 is big enough for 3 PID's you'd have to do a Google Sketchup or something to figure out if everything would fit.

One benefit is its metal, and more importantly it comes with a removable back plate for a much easier install.

Ok I'll play devils advocate here...

Metal isnt always a benefit here... Plastic more cost effective, is not conductive and much much easier to cut and work with... That said Having the plate is a nice benefit and the metal enclosures do often look better (unless they start rusting from the nearby condensation)

Some will argue that the metal boxes will be less likely to melt and catch on fire.... well the fact is that the actual electric components are still mostly made of plastic so the metal box isnt really more fire retardant when these and the wiring would be the first to burst into flames unless it was burning unsupervised for a long period of time. IMHO for most of the builds pertaining to home brewing its a moot point since these aren't meant to really be ran unsupervised. they are meant for the hobby of homebrewing and unless you are running a commercial brewery or have an automated brewery to feed some other hobby or addiction besides brewing you would be there to prevent any real disaster if by some odd chance the breaker and GFCI didnt trip.

I've seen a lot of plastic toolboxes and even wooden control panel builds and one thing I never DO see here is threads or pictures of them damaged from fire... They usually have a failure while being used and its addressed before that point if the breaker/gfci doesnt trip first.

I used a plastic enclosure (mainly to keep it simple and keep costs down) and liked the benefit that I could easily change things and rearrange my layout/panel by just replacing the front cover... not so easy on a hinged metal box.

Back