Infestation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anyhowe

Reaction score
3F68CD71-7CDE-4FA6-AC61-E37B28F63CB7.jpeg
what are these. (Other than fhe shy we) No dramatic affect in production or the plant. Infested hops are sticky.

Aphids. That honeybee is likely going after the honeydew they produce. It looks pretty bad, but you can still use the hops for brewing. Hit them with a hose to spray off the cones. Any remaining aphids will exit as the cones dry.

Also you seem to have some male flowers forming. Is that Cascade?

Aphids. That honeybee is likely going after the honeydew they produce. It looks pretty bad, but you can still use the hops for brewing. Hit them with a hose to spray off the cones. Any remaining aphids will exit as the cones dry.

Also you seem to have some male flowers forming. Is that Cascade?
Ah that explains why the cones were sticky. Is that a problem?

Make flowers, hmmm what are they? That is a Kent golding plant so I was told. It was the only one attacked badly.

Ah that explains why the cones were sticky. Is that a problem?
It's not healthy for the plants and will decrease your yield, but... no, it's not a problem to consume the hops. Next year, you might want to consider introducing some ladybugs. They will take care of the aphid problem really quick.

Make flowers, hmmm what are they? That is a Kent golding plant so I was told. It was the only one attacked badly.
When stressed, some hop varieties will throw male flowers (on a normally female plant). These are usually sterile and not a problem. They just indicate that the hop is under stress - in this case an aphid infestation.

Well, imo, when you get THAT amount of aphids, it's certain to become all sticky, and thus certain to develop sooty mold. Unless you do a yummy aphid harvest ale right away, that's gonna get all back and mouldy before you get to do anything with it.

Also, when a plant gets enough honeydew to attrack honey bees... that's 'cause the aphid infestation is really advanced. XD In most regions their harvest of honeydew is limited.

Lacewings are even better aphid predators, and don’t have the environmental issues that come with relocating ladybugs across the country (spreading viruses).

Actually, if you zoom in you can see the sooty mold started in the upper portion of the pic. Those are done but hopefully you've learned a lesson, start scouting early and be ready to treat immediately once you do find some. Unlike other pests, aphids are capable reproducing insane amounts of offspring in the blink of an eye, ask me how I know, lol!

Actually, if you zoom in you can see the sooty mold started in the upper portion of the pic. Those are done but hopefully you've learned a lesson, start scouting early and be ready to treat immediately once you do find some. Unlike other pests, aphids are capable reproducing insane amounts of offspring in the blink of an eye, ask me how I know, lol!
Yup. I did not harvest this part of the plant. The rest was pretty good. First year growing for me. Lists to learn. Thanks.

Well, last year I had one really infested plant. And then it attracted a ton of ladybugs. That plant's harvest was scrapped, full of sooty mold, but this year I didn't have any (major) aphid problem. The ladybug population was already here and ready for them. I do have 1-2 aphid per leaf of most cultivars, but nothing anywhere near what this plant has (and what my Brewer's Gold had last year).

Your harvest is already scrapped, so not much point in spraying. If you do spray, make sure you aren't killing your beneficials at the same time.

Well, last year I had one really infested plant. And then it attracted a ton of ladybugs. That plant's harvest was scrapped, full of sooty mold, but this year I didn't have any (major) aphid problem. The ladybug population was already here and ready for them. I do have 1-2 aphid per leaf of most cultivars, but nothing anywhere near what this plant has (and what my Brewer's Gold had last year).

Your harvest is already scrapped, so not much point in spraying. If you do spray, make sure you aren't killing your beneficials at the same time.
Aphid ale. All the cool kids are brewing it now.

The FDA allowance for aphids on commercial hops is something insane like 10,000 per ounce. At least you’re not alone!

FWIW Boadicea is claimed to be the first aphid-resistant variety.

Tolhurst is particularly resistant out of the old varieties.

Freezing does really bad things to aphids, which are essentially just bags of sugar-water with a mouth.

FWIW Boadicea is claimed to be the first aphid-resistant variety.

Tolhurst is particularly resistant out of the old varieties.

Freezing does really bad things to aphids, which are essentially just bags of sugar-water with a mouth.

Which is apparently a single dominant gene, which is apparently displayed in many of my seedlings. ;) ;)

I've found that spraying a mixture of dawn dish soap and water will coat their breathing tubes and knock down your aphid population. Useful if you're getting near harvest and don't want to spray Sevin or Mustang Max

Back