Insulating keggle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am new to all grain and have my keggle ready with stainless steel coupler, tig welded in place with 1/2 inch stainless steel ball valve and inside pickup. I have added aluminum bubble wrap (used on hot water heaters) with aluminum tape. The tape is above the holes on the sides of the keg keggle. I plan on firing with propane. Should I worry about anything? Thanks for all responses

I large volumes, water holds it's temp pretty well. For that matter the mylar bubble wrap (reflectix) is only about r-3 and that is with a sealed,air tight air space. Try it with out, if you have the thing on a burner, fire it up when needed. I think you'll be happier than you would be with melted plastic everywhere.

Any particular reason you are planning to direct fire? I use a keg for an unfired-MLT and another for a HLT. I cover the MLT with a poorly-fitting lid from a big pot and an old blanket folded in half. As long as i have 20 pounds of grain or so in there, I only lose 3-4 degrees per hour--which is easily made up for by a little boiling water infusion halfway through.

Just sayin'.

I use an extreme cooler for mashing (more insulation) and it works fine. I insulated stainless steel tank for heating strike water and the stainless steel keg keggle for reducing the wort after mashing. Now to rethink methods before firing up units.

Latest posts

Back