Ironmaster Stout Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twocylndr

Reaction score
I have a SCOTMALT "Ironmaster" Irish Stout kit, (It was a gift): 4 lb can of extract, 1 pkg of yeast and a packet of Iso-Hop extract. On the can label it sez "No Boil" and the instructions say just add boiling water to the extract and IsoHop extract.

Reading the ingredients on the label, I think the extract is hopped. As it sez it includes hop extract and Iso-hop extract. The label lists the OG as 1.040-1.044; no mention of IBUs.

I've never done a kit before. I'm leery of the "No Boil" bit; I will probably boil it anyway.
I'd like to add my own hops, but with out any info regarding the IBUs in the ISO-hops or the extract, I probably won't. I will add my own yeast.

Anyone familiar with this kit? Any suggestions?

I don't normally do canned kits, but if I were in your situation, I'd probably do the following:

Boil the extract for a bit to ensure sanitized

Combine to 4 or 4.5 gallons (the kit is probably for 5, but a little less water will allow for a little higher OG; 1.040 just isn't strong enough for me unless its supposed to be some sort of mild or lawnmower beer; 1/2 gallon less water isn't going to hurt this stout at all). OR add a little extra (1lb or so) of DME to up the gravity. I'd aim for 1.050 on this beer personally.

I don't think I would adjust the hops unless you add a significant amount of DME. If you do up them, I would keep it minimal if the kit is already hopped.

Lastly, I'd use this yeast:

WLP004 Irish Ale Yeast
This is the yeast from one of the oldest stout producing breweries in the world. It produces a slight hint of diacetyl, balanced by a light fruitiness and slight dry crispness. Great for Irish ales, stouts, porters, browns, reds and a very interesting pale ale.
Attenuation: 69-74%
Flocculation: Medium to High
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 65-68°F
Alcohol Tolerance: Medium-High

If you're going to add hops then you definetly need to do a boil to isomerize (use) the bittering acids. Unless you're really recpie adverse I'd also look into steeping some specialty grains for a little extra malt flavor and body. Maybe some crystal and chocolate or roasted barley or both.
I don't have any expierence with this liquid malt so I can't advise on the IBUs or bitterness.

Back