Is all grain kit still good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trobocco

Reaction score
I found an all grain kit in my barn. All the ingredients are there. It's about 1.5 yrs old. The barn is not climate controlled. I noticed no rot or mold. The grain was milled when I purchased it. Kit is big honkin stout. Is it still good to use? I don't want to go through a whole brew day to have it come out crap.

Is it sealed up? If so, give the grain a taste. If it tastes fresh, it's okay.

1.5 years is a long time, though. I'd be pretty surprised if it was any good.

If it's that old the grain is probably oxidized. I just read a brad smith article where he talks about how he brewed an old kit and it didn't turn out well due to oxidized grain. Brew at your own risk.

Well I had 2 all grain milled kits that sat for almost a year and I noticed no issues or off flavors.. They were sealed on plastic bags though and the hops were in the freezer. being that stout is a bitter beer I really doubt you will be able to tell.

brew it. If it doesn't come out right, dump it.
You already sunk the cost of the materials, all you'd be losing now is the time to brew.

Brew it and then come back and tell all these folks who are telling you it is a waste of time because XXXXXXXX said so that they are wrong.

If it were me, I'd probably add a couple of lbs of fresh 2-row to ensure there is enough diastatic power to convert everything. But that would be just as a insurance. If grains are dry, I'd have no issues using them.

Brew it up! As long as it was kept cool and dry, give the grain a taste, waste not want not chances are it's still good:mug:

Back