Is it possible? -Direct fire, EBIAB 5.5 and 11 gallon batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zgja2

Reaction score
Here is my situation...

I have a 15 gal EBIAB rig. 5500W, Bayou Classic kettle, recirculating, I use the stock steamer basket to hold the bag, and assist with lifting and draining.

I do some 11 gallon batches but am forced to quasi-sparge while the bag is draining. This is ok but defeats the full volume mash which is one of the main reasons i BIAB.

I want to do more 11 gallon batches, go up to a 20 gallon kettle, maintain my process with a perforated basket, and not spend too much (AKA no $300+ SS mesh baskets). I have a couple solutions but the wide 20 gallon kettles may present a problem with wort not completely covering grain when doing 5.5 gal batches.

Can you help me design an upgraded EBIAB rig that will do 5.5-11 gal batches?

Pic for reference (during one of my quasi-sparged 11 gal brews)

IMG_3128.JPG

Brewershardware has narrow and tall 20 gallon kettles

Those are defiantly on my radar. Those are a little more than I would like to spend. Especially when there are 20 gal kettles out there for under 200. Although a bit too wide.

I found a narrow and tall SS fermenter on Ali express but not sure i would be able to preserve the functionality of the perforated basket.

Back