iSpindle - DIY Electronic Hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

And I'm in. Not sure if it was because of the driver or by using an other usb cable (I remembered that I experienced that cable problem before with other devices). But its working.

So, still left me with some questions. Some of them are more or less for my-self (and others) thinking out loud :) and also for getting some feedback here.

Do I need to supply all the config over and over again when reconnecting to the access-point and getting in the config-tab? Since I got into the tab after I added all the settings and they where all empty again?

Also the access-point is publicly available after resetting the esp. So anyone can get in since it is not secured can we set an password for it?.
Or might be better, is it possible using the iSpindel as a network device with its own fixed IP-address? (in fact is already in the network when adding the ssid and password) So is it also possible accessing the config-tab through the ip-adress assigned by the router right?

Do I need to supply all the config over and over again when reconnecting to the access-point and getting in the config-tab? Since I got into the tab after I added all the settings and they where all empty again?

The settings should be saved if correctly set.

Also the access-point is publicly available after resetting the esp. So anyone can get in since it is not secured can we set an password for it?.
Or might be better, is it possible using the iSpindel as a network device with its own fixed IP-address? (in fact is already in the network when adding the ssid and password) So is it also possible accessing the config-tab through the ip-adress assigned by the router right?

The AP is available only for setup. You can't access it during normal operation.

Good advice from pocketmon.

If you've got a commandline try `pio serialports monitor -b 115200` while connected via usb to get the serial output (you'll be able to see all the debug info). `pio` is a python library from http://platformio.org/

Managed to connect with pio serialports but there is nothing meaningful in the terminal, like the baud rate is wrong but I can't find the right settings

Anyway - sending the curl command has set the gravity in the brewpiless but still no luck from the iSpindel

ispindel settings attached

Capture.JPG

I wiped the ispindel and flashed it using platform io (now showing version 5.3.0) still no luck.
I can't see the serial monitor to be able to debug it...

Managed to connect with pio serialports but there is nothing meaningful in the terminal, like the baud rate is wrong but I can't find the right settings

Anyway - sending the curl command has set the gravity in the brewpiless but still no luck from the iSpindel

ispindel settings attached

The baud rate is 115200 in the source code of iSpindel. There might be something wrong.

Someone reported that he re-install the IDE and framework to make it work. I don't know why and how, though.

https://github.com/vitotai/BrewPiLess/issues/5

I've had that before, pretty sure I read that if you catch the first byte mid character you get gobbledygook. Press reset on the side of the wemos a few times and all should be good, if not try again a few times.

I got some output in portal mode but as soon as I hit reset its gobbledygook and then nothing after that. I'll keep trying...

On another note I tried setting the server to my PC IP and using wireshark and never saw the http payload, just TCP packets...

Have you tried the prebuilt binary of iSpondel? Or, maybe upgrade/change the framework worth trying.

Yep I was using the pre built 5.2.1 bin previously, I have also wiped/upgraded/changed the build a few times (if thats what you mean by framework). I've flashed with VCS and atom versions of platformio all to no avail!

It logs out to ubidots but I can't get it talking to brewpiless :(

I'll keep working on it and try and get the serial monitor connected during normal operation

I'll blow it away and use the pre built .bin and try to get some output. I just tried about 10 times in a row with the arduino IDE serial monitor and got garbage. I'm so close yet so far

I'll blow it away and use the pre built .bin and try to get some output. I just tried about 10 times in a row with the arduino IDE serial monitor and got garbage. I'm so close yet so far
FYI.
Some information from Sam, the creator of iSpindel:
"
From my iSpindel firmware I made the dramatic discovery that only the latest git version of ESP8266/Arduino framework runs reliable. Even worse if you did not upgrade it lately. The SDK moved from 1.5.3 (terrible) to 1.5.4 (better and now to 2.x
Therefore I switched to PlatformIO for building and am using the "Staged" framework pinned down, now problem is solved and consistent results.
Just my 2c
"

The settings should be saved if correctly set.

The AP is available only for setup. You can't access it during normal operation.

Ok, thanks. So one can only access the iSpindle after pressing the reset button and access the opened config screen? In the German forum I red that some people got the "info" showing through an wlan ip-address like 192.168.4.1
So mine is 192.168.041 but when trying that nothing is shown? Or is the only way in through the AP as you mentioned (I run the latest bin by the way).

Next question: I put an Iron Bold as weight on the iSpindel giving me a tilt of 78 (in Ubidots) when the iSpindel floats in plain water. Is that OK? Or do I need an other angel?

FYI.
Some information from Sam, the creator of iSpindel:
"
From my iSpindel firmware I made the dramatic discovery that only the latest git version of ESP8266/Arduino framework runs reliable. Even worse if you did not upgrade it lately. The SDK moved from 1.5.3 (terrible) to 1.5.4 (better and now to 2.x
Therefore I switched to PlatformIO for building and am using the "Staged" framework pinned down, now problem is solved and consistent results.
Just my 2c
"

Im using the espresif8266_stage board in platformio is that the correct one?

edit: ok I see I can grab newer versions, will have to try and work this out. thanks!

Not sure how to check the version of the SDK in platformio, any tips on how to check and then update the SDK and frameworks? I've run the update in platformio and here is the ouput

Platform*Espressif*8266*(Stage)
--------
Updating*espressif8266_stage*************@*d192958********[Up-to-date]
Updating*tool-mkspiffs*******************@*1.102.0********[Up-to-date]
Updating*tool-esptool********************@*1.409.0********[Up-to-date]
Updating*tool-espotapy*******************@*1.0.0**********[Up-to-date]
Updating*framework-arduinoespressif8266**@*ba0e049********[Up-to-date]
Updating*toolchain-xtensa****************@*1.40802.0******[Up-to-date]

I think you just run "platformio update" or "platformio upgrade" if I recall correctly... If neither of those work I can check when I get home tonight.

I love platformio for developing for ESP. So, so much better than the alternatives.

Ok, thanks. So one can only access the iSpindle after pressing the reset button and access the opened config screen? In the German forum I red that some people got the "info" showing through an wlan ip-address like 192.168.4.1
So mine is 192.168.041 but when trying that nothing is shown? Or is the only way in through the AP as you mentioned (I run the latest bin by the way).

192.168.4.1 is the default IP of ESP8266 under AP mode.
You can't access iSpindel during normal operation. That is for sure. Trust me or not.

Next question: I put an Iron Bold as weight on the iSpindel giving me a tilt of 78 (in Ubidots) when the iSpindel floats in plain water. Is that OK? Or do I need an other angel?

If you look back in this thread, you will find the answer. To save you some time, it should be around 15~25 in plain water.

I think you just run "platformio update" or "platformio upgrade" if I recall correctly... If neither of those work I can check when I get home tonight.

I love platformio for developing for ESP. So, so much better than the alternatives.

Ok cool I've done that. I'm going to try in AP mode and failing that I'm giving up on brewpiless and will just have to do it manually while logging to Ubidots. Without being able to see debug logging it's impossible to troubleshoot :(

No luck, ive flashed and reflashed and tried to get debugging to work I seriously don't know what the hell I am doing wrong here. It logs to ubidots no problem, I can log gravity to the brewpiless with no issue using curl. It is just the damn ispindel won't talk to brewpiless even in AP mode. I am at my wits end after a week, thanks to those that have offered ideas

edit: are you guys debugging while running on battery? It is as if the esp isn't getting enough power and drops the serial connection. I have completely rebuilt my laptop (windows) with a fresh install of atom and platformio to reflash but still having the same issues. This is very frustrating :(

edit2: sorry for the spam... I flashed a new esp module and found it much easier to get logging. I'm now convinced its something to do with removing that diode off the esp but I am not 100% sure. Even with the battery fully charged I can't seem to hold that connection to the serial monitor. I will solder up a new board and leave the diode on just for testing so I can see what is happening and then remove it. Sorry for my frustration on these posts, I have been so excited to get this feeding into brewpiless and I am sooo close

No luck, ive flashed and reflashed and tried to get debugging to work I seriously don't know what the hell I am doing wrong here. It logs to ubidots no problem, I can log gravity to the brewpiless with no issue using curl. It is just the damn ispindel won't talk to brewpiless even in AP mode. I am at my wits end after a week, thanks to those that have offered ideas

edit: are you guys debugging while running on battery? It is as if the esp isn't getting enough power and drops the serial connection. I have completely rebuilt my laptop (windows) with a fresh install of atom and platformio to reflash but still having the same issues. This is very frustrating :(

edit2: sorry for the spam... I flashed a new esp module and found it much easier to get logging. I'm now convinced its something to do with removing that diode off the esp but I am not 100% sure. Even with the battery fully charged I can't seem to hold that connection to the serial monitor. I will solder up a new board and leave the diode on just for testing so I can see what is happening and then remove it. Sorry for my frustration on these posts, I have been so excited to get this feeding into brewpiless and I am sooo close

Give it one last try. Find the iSpindel-BPL.5.12.bin here:
https://github.com/vitotai/BrewPiLess/tree/master/extra

Flash it to verify/test. This is exact the one I have been used for months.
It is v5.1.2, so the gravity reported will be limited to 2 decimals. At least you can use it to test. If this binary doesn't work, I bet you have wrong settings.

Give it one last try. Find the iSpindel-BPL.5.12.bin here:
https://github.com/vitotai/BrewPiLess/tree/master/extra

Flash it to verify/test. This is exact the one I have been used for months.
It is v5.1.2, so the gravity reported will be limited to 2 decimals. At least you can use it to test. If this binary doesn't work, I bet you have wrong settings.

Thanks pocketmon, what version of brewpiless are you running with this? Would you mind sending me your settings as well? Thanks very much :)

Thanks pocketmon, what version of brewpiless are you running with this? Would you mind sending me your settings as well? Thanks very much :)

I have used this binary since it was available. I've used every version of BrewPiLess with it.

This is exact my setting:
https://github.com/vitotai/BrewPiLess#ispindel-support

I enabled AP mode of BrewPiless to save power of iSpindel.

BTW, Please note that the password(passphrase) should be at least 8 characters.

ok here is the log using 5.3.0. seems no response from the bpl. Currently loading up the other ispindel firmware

FW 5.3.0
2.0.0(656edbf)
Worker run!
Boot-Mode: 5
mounting FS... mounted!
reading config file
opened config file

parsed json
offsets not available
parsed config:
{"Name":"iSpindel01","Token":"","Sleep":30,"Server":"192.168.1.111","API":3,"Port":80,"URL":"/gravity","Vfact":191.8,"SSID":"Brewery","PSK":"xxxxxxxx","POLY":"-0.00000832*tilt^2+0.002413863*tilt+0.960271658","aX":0,"aY":0,"aZ":0}
woken from deepsleep, normal mode
Spl 0: 41.98
Spl 1: 42.07
Spl 2: 42.05
Spl 3: 42.04
Spl 4: 42.04
Spl 5: 41.99
Spl 6: 42.02

a: 10918 -722 12128 absTilt: 42.04 T: 25.44 V: 4.72 owT: 23.62 Gravity: 1.05
After waiting 1.60 s, result 3

calling DTHTTP
genericHTTP: posting
POST /gravity HTTP/1.1
Host: 192.168.1.111
User-Agent: iSpindel01
Connection: close
Content-Type: application/json
Content-Length: 112

{"name":"iSpindel01","ID":"3983544","angle":42.03535,"temperature":23.625,"battery":4.718457,"gravity":1.047038}
Final-sleep: 30s; RT:6526

I connected in soft AP mode this time but still not appearing in BPL

FW 5.1.2
1.5.3(aec24ac9)
Worker run!
Boot-Mode: 5
mounting FS... mounted!
reading config file
opened config file

parsed json
offsets not available
parsed config:
{"Name":"iSpindel01","Token":"","Sleep":60,"Server":"192.168.4.1","API":3,"Port":80,"URL":"/gravity","Vfact":191.80,"SSID":"brewpiless1","PSK":"xxxxxxxx","POLY":"-0.00000832*tilt^2+0.002413863*tilt+0.960271658","aX":0,"aY":0,"aZ":0}
woken from deepsleep, normal mode
Spl 0: 45.61
Spl 1: 45.60
Spl 2: 45.62
Spl 3: 45.57
Spl 4: 45.61
Spl 5: 45.67
Spl 6: 45.58

a: 11684 -422 11450 absTilt: 45.61 T: 29.13 V: 4.33 owT: 24.87 Gravity: 1.05
After waiting 5.00 s, result 3

calling DTHTTP
genericHTTP: posting
POST /gravity HTTP/1.1
Host: 192.168.4.1
User-Agent: iSpindel01
Connection: close
Content-Type: application/json
Content-Length: 100

{"name":"iSpindel01","ID":"3983544","angle":45.61,"temperature":24.87,"battery":4.33,"gravity":1.05}
Final-sleep: 60s; RT:20417

ok so I just disabled gravity sensor in BPL, then re enabled and it appears to be posting... lol

I've flashed back to 5.21 and 5.3 and can not get them talking however 5.12 seems to work fine.

I've loaded it up on the existing ispindel and.... success!!

I'm not sure if it is required but I told BPL to do the calculations and I am getting 3 decimal gravity. Thank you so much pocketmon, you have made my day. Now to make up the remaining ispindels and calibrate!

Cheers

I've flashed back to 5.21 and 5.3 and can not get them talking however 5.12 seems to work fine.

I've loaded it up on the existing ispindel and.... success!!

I'm not sure if it is required but I told BPL to do the calculations and I am getting 3 decimal gravity. Thank you so much pocketmon, you have made my day. Now to make up the remaining ispindels and calibrate!

Cheers

The latest BPL should reports 4 decimals.

I might dig into the connection issue later when I have time.

The latest BPL should reports 4 decimals.

I might dig into the connection issue later when I have time.

Yep you are right...4.

Thanks again pocketmon, you've saved what hair I have left on my head :)

I've got all the parts to make this, alas I no longer have access to a 3D printer since moving jobs. What are peoples thoughts on simply making the PCB just wide enough to hold it steady in the PET bottle, over-sizing by a though fractions of a mm allowing it to be sanded down? Also placing battery clips on the under side of the board.

The biggest challenge I can see is adapting the code to work with my own Node-Red based brewery UI.

Cheers,
Jamie

Couple questions related to BPL.
What versions of iSpindle are supported?
What wifi do I connect to in ispindle? Brewpiless soft AP or router?
How do I get the coefficients for BPL gravity setup?

edit: got the coefficients by launching the calibrationSG.htm. Found router wifi needs to be use in iSpindle. Only version i can get to connect is the iSpindel-BPL.5.12.bin

Values are way off though...

edit#2: this helped fix my values "Use 0 for x^3 term if quadratic polynomial is used."

How have people found the accuracy?

I spent ages calibrating then had to charge it. Put it the lid back on and I'm about 7 points off expected SG. Not sure how to secure it so i can charge it.

Has anyone got wireless charging g working?

@paiakan, I was told by a friend who is really into these sorts of projects it really shouldn't matter for this project as the power is very low anyway.

Does anyone have a csv with ispindel output data I could use please, I would really like to be able to do some testing with my brewpi fork but stuck without data :( pretty please

Will a 220 kohm 1/4W resistor work instead of a 1/2W? It's hard to find the proper resistor around here.

I used a 1/4W resistor and have had no issues.

I think @mikmonken has a 1/2W resistor in his wish list and that is what I ordered (not through Aliexpress), but it didn't fit in the PCB he and I worked on, so I suspect he might have used a 1/4W as well.

fwiw, a 220K ohm resistor can almost be as physically small as you can possibly find, as across a 5V current source it could only ever draw around 22 microamperes or around 100 microwatts.

I can't imagine why a 1/2W resistor was suggested as it takes up hella room for such a tiny task...

Cheers!

I spent ages calibrating then had to charge it. Put it the lid back on and I'm about 7 points off expected SG. Not sure how to secure it so i can charge it.

Has anyone got wireless charging g working?

I ordered the wireless charging parts.
Will update once I got them.

I'm getting weird numbers out, in the range of 13-2, at least that's what is showing on brewpiless (the gravity scale does't seem to relate to the numbers on the graph either). I figured I'd come back to it as I didn't want to mess around with a brew but as time went on I realised the actual numbers (and accuracy) aren't important - the curve is what matters. Once it flattens out I take a couple of hydrometer readings and they confirm what the curve is telling me.

In this image note the dip in the green line where I preprogrammed a cold crash, the curve (purple line) clearly showed me that fermentation hadn't finished. I learned not to programme that in advance.

700coho6.png

Sorry I thought the ispindel output a csv for everyone, not for the brewpiless I think now though.

Back