Jacking it!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foreigner

Reaction score
No, it's not what you think sickos :ban:

I racked my 23L carboy of wildberry mead (which has a beautiful rose crystal clear appearance and tastes great :) ) into a 19L carboy beacuse it's all I have on hand and it was racking time.

So:

I've got ~3 1/2L of ~14% that I racked into a big bowl and its now in the freezer.
The FG was 1.010. I anticipate a few bottles of near 30% with an FG of 1.020.

I expect these will be for special occasions only. eg: no work for a few days :)

I've just been swimming in raw sewage - I LOVE IT! I said, I LOVE IT :)

Any else into jacking? Oh, if anyone asks, I'm from Zaire where there are no legal issues with this sort of thing...

I don't know what happened, but when I made my first mead/berry (melomel?) it was a 2 gallon batch. I don't know what I was thinking, but I thought for some reason that I'd be able to rack it into a 1 gallon jug. D'Oh!

So, the extra 3/4 gallon or so went into a big bowl and into the freezer. I reduced it by half, then put it into an empty, sanitized 2-liter and left it in the fridge for 6 months.

At 6 months, I had a 2nd brainfart and thought I'd be able to squeeze the 'normal' gallon into six 12 oz bottles. D'oh!

So, I quickly sanitized a pair of port bottles, and put the 'normal' version in one and the 'special' version the other.

A month later (mind, this is 7 moths after adding yeast), a friend and I had a taste test and though he liked the slightly stronger kick of the 'special', we prefered the flavor of the normal.

fine print--I use no hydrometers, so I have no idea what my alcohol levels are/were. I used a standard, dry-packaged ale yeast, so I would not expect that the ferment got much higher than 6% or so, so the special would've been double(-ish) that, and they were both still plenty sweet.

What part of Zaire are YOU from?

marshman said:
fine print--I use no hydrometers, so I have no idea what my alcohol levels are/were. I used a standard, dry-packaged ale yeast, so I would not expect that the ferment got much higher than 6% or so, so the special would've been double(-ish) that, and they were both still plenty sweet.

What part of Zaire are YOU from?

This stuff is quite delicious. So much so that I'm considering turning my whole 5 gallon batch into an ~3 gallon batch. That is some serious stuff. I drank a bottle of it last night with a few friends, only because I had decided to take the day off today...it was a good decision.

Oh, the northern part of Zaire, you know...

I've been told from a number of different people that this is the best alcohol thing I've ever made...I imagine it's because they expect their beer to taste like water and so mine overwhelms them :) Maybe one day I'll make a batch a batch just for them...not too likely...

Good luck with it. I'm still trying to get the basics down to start deliberatly branching out into that realm.

Besides, I don't have the freezer space

marshman said:
I used a standard, dry-packaged ale yeast, so I would not expect that the ferment got much higher than 6% or so, so the special would've been double(-ish) that, and they were both still plenty sweet.

you'd be surprised at what an ale yeast can do. I made many batches of mead with Edme Ale yeast (now Safbrew S-33) and regularly hit 12% ABV range.
use 3lbs of honey per gallon, and end up with a potent yet fairly sweet mead, that's not gaggingly sweet.

sadly finding 'choice' honey in my area is dodgy, so all my meads were store bought clover 'blends'.
I can only imagine what I could make with REAL honey.

Back