John Barleywine Must Live

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff48

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Monday night is brew night for our first simple barleywine. Here are the details. Are there any glaring problems in the recipe. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

John Barleywine Must Live

A ProMash Recipe Report

Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 13.00
Anticipated OG: 1.092 Plato: 21.89
Anticipated SRM: 13.0
Anticipated IBU: 121.0
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
92.3 12.00 lbs. Generic LME - Light Generic 1.036 7
7.7 1.00 lbs. Crystal 40L America 1.034 40
20 minutes at 150 Deg F. sparged w/ 150

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
5.00 oz. Fuggle Pellet 5.00 102.0 60 min.
1.50 oz. Fuggle Pellet 5.00 15.6 30 min.
1.00 oz. Fuggle Pellet 5.00 3.4 5 min.

Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
3.00 Oz Medium Toast French Oak Chips Other 8 Days(in secondary)
1 Tsp Irish Moss Fining 15 Min.(boil)

Yeast
-----
White Labs WLP028 Edinburgh Ale 1 liter starter
Champagne yeast added if actual FG before moving to secondary well over target FG

The IBU's are about 21 points above the maximum (American) style guidelines, but that's your call.

If it were me (and it's not) I'd take 1-2 ounces of those 5-ounce bittering hops and hold them out till the last 10 minutes. Reducing the bitterness and increasing the flavor/aroma.

Try to get around a 90 IBU.

Thats a lot of Fuggles!

I've used Fuggles for bittering in 2 batches of ESB now and find them to be a tad bit harsh as a bittering hop. I'd keep Fuggles for the flavor and aroma but might substitute EKG for bitterness. At least thats what I am doing on my next run of ESB.

The IBU's are about 21 points above the maximum (American) style guidelines, but that's your call.

If it were me (and it's not) I'd take 1-2 ounces of those 5-ounce bittering hops and hold them out till the last 10 minutes. Reducing the bitterness and increasing the flavor/aroma.

Try to get around a 90 IBU.

+1 on this, maybe take 1.5 oz off the 60min and increase the 5 min by 1.5 oz (or even dry hop with an oz instead). This will keep your beer from being overly bitter, but still produce a large hop aroma/flavor note if that is what you were going after.

ill take it but i will make sure that i wont drink it for quite some time. just seen you on here and wanted to give you some s**t. the recipe looks good but it is above the style guide lines but who cares were homebrewing and expermenting not trying to win anything.

Back