Judges notes illegible... crowd source a translation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bucketnative

Reaction score
Attached, you will find the handwritten judge's notes from a recent competition entry of mine. It was a lemongrass-ginger saison. I really liked the beer, but felt there was some room for improvement, hence why I sent it to the competition: for judge's feedback.

The word I cannot decipher is the first one of the second line: "Retronazzle???" It seems to be key as to why this judge liked it, but I can't figure out what it is... This was the best scan of the notes I could get.

I emailed the judge (a local pro-brewer), but to no avail.

Perhaps the powers of the masses will recognize this word? Thanks.

Judge Notes.jpg

"Retronasal olfaction is the perception of odors emanating from the oral cavity during eating and drinking, as opposed to orthonasal olfaction, which occurs during sniffing. 1. The retronasal olfactory pathway, which contributes to the flavor of foods or drinks, is commonly associated with the sense of taste." Basically aromas devlop on the out-breath of the sip rather than through the first sniff.

Attached, you will find the handwritten judge's notes from a recent competition entry of mine. It was a lemongrass-ginger saison. I really liked the beer, but felt there was some room for improvement, hence why I sent it to the competition: for judge's feedback.

The word I cannot decipher is the first one of the second line: "Retronazzle???" It seems to be key as to why this judge liked it, but I can't figure out what it is... This was the best scan of the notes I could get.

I emailed the judge (a local pro-brewer), but to no avail.

Perhaps the powers of the masses will recognize this word? Thanks.

I came up with.

Right bodied, carbed well, little audi, lot of retronazzle, and I am salivating for more.

Light bodied, carbed well, little acidic, lot of retronazzle (sic), and I am salivating for more.

Assuming "retronazzle" meant retro-nasal as above. Wine people drone on and on about the retro nasal taste/aroma. Source: used to live with a sommelier.

Not a great scoresheet. Retro-nasal seems more like a flavor than a mouthfeel, as does acidity. If you could feel the acidity, I would think that's a major flaw! And what about creaminess, astringency? Just like so many other thousands (millions?) of judges and brewers, I'm sure the guy was just trying to show off his knowledge (or lack thereof) of tasting terms to puff up his ego a bit, even though he doesn't really know what he's doing. Typical.

It's a pretty common wine term as mentioned above. I hear it occasionally in mead / cider judging.

The bigger question in my opinion is if you are unable to spell the word should you use it as a descriptive?

Seems like retronasal is the winner... and to think I was just watching the Netflix serious "Cooked" where Michael Pollan was going on about the importance of retro-nasal olfaction in terms of bread texture and flavor.

Thanks

This is part of why i rarely ever actually write, i try to do everything i can with typing (or at least on my tablet). As a consequence my writing is terribly terribly slow, but i can type 100 words per minute :)

Cant wait until physical writing is mostly gone.

Seems like retronasal is the winner... and to think I was just watching the Netflix serious "Cooked" where Michael Pollan was going on about the importance of retro-nasal olfaction in terms of bread texture and flavor.

Thanks

I object. I think the judge was just razzle dazzled.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-zEtAuKuUY?=t12s"][YOUTUBE]c-zEtAuKuUY?=t12s[/YOUTUBE][/ame]

Back