Just transfered my first brew to the secondary...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SayWhat1

Reaction score
I have a comment and a question. I'll ask the question first though. All I have is a racking cane, some tubing, and a clamp. I was going to start my siphon by leaving the tube full of sanitizer and starting it like that. Well I drained a few oz into a container, then a cup full for taking a hydrometer reading and a taste test. Well, starting the siphon wasn't as easy as all that. When I started it into my secondary there were bubbles in the tube and it started slowing down till about halfway done it came to a stop. I didn't want to keep my budding brew exposed to air that long so I think I thought quick. I filled a cup full of sanitizer, gave the tube a little suck, clamped it, dunked it in the sanitizer then started it draining into the secondary again. So I guess my question is how vulnerable is my budding brew to infection after it's already been through primary fermentation? It ended up being about 4.8% ABV if that makes any difference.

On a happier note though I gave it a little taste and it was great. Even though it was cloudy, warm, and flat it's probably the best beer I've ever tasted. And I'm not just saying that because I made it with my own two hands.

Oh, and I was going to ask if not having that much trub in the bottom of the primary would be a problem but then I started cleaning my primary after I got the secondary in a safe place and I was wrong... There was a lot of crud on the bottom. I guess when looking down into a bucket your perceptions are a bit off. :D

SayWhat1 said:
I have a comment and a question. I'll ask the question first though. All I have is a racking cane, some tubing, and a clamp. I was going to start my siphon by leaving the tube full of sanitizer and starting it like that. Well I drained a few oz into a container, then a cup full for taking a hydrometer reading and a taste test. Well, starting the siphon wasn't as easy as all that. When I started it into my secondary there were bubbles in the tube and it started slowing down till about halfway done it came to a stop. I didn't want to keep my budding brew exposed to air that long so I think I thought quick. I filled a cup full of sanitizer, gave the tube a little suck, clamped it, dunked it in the sanitizer then started it draining into the secondary again. So I guess my question is how vulnerable is my budding brew to infection after it's already been through primary fermentation? It ended up being about 4.8% ABV if that makes any difference.

On a happier note though I gave it a little taste and it was great. Even though it was cloudy, warm, and flat it's probably the best beer I've ever tasted. And I'm not just saying that because I made it with my own two hands.

Oh, and I was going to ask if not having that much trub in the bottom of the primary would be a problem but then I started cleaning my primary after I got the secondary in a safe place and I was wrong... There was a lot of crud on the bottom. I guess when looking down into a bucket your perceptions are a bit off. :D

congrats man. your beer will be great. buy an auto siphon. RDWHAH

Didn't take much convincing did it? lol.

Actually is is one of the best purchases for the cost value that you can make.
My wife gave me one for christmas one year and I was surprised how much I have come to depend on a simple peice of equipment. A lot better than what the old guy in the red suit left me, I don't burn coal, lol.

Ha, not really. I'll probably still be getting my bearings for the next couple brews until I get into a groove.

I've already been infected though. I was walking down the road and I saw a guy with a couple 5 gal corney kegs setting out by the road. I asked him if he was tossing them and we talked for a little while. Once he realized I wanted to take them off his hands for him he started talking about a really exorbitant price so I said no thanks and walked off. Just slipped through my fingers!

DWHAHB, or since its your first batch, have a microbrew

I wouldnt worry about a thing man, theres booze in there now so it kills things now. Your brew will be good man! Congrats!

Yeah i'm pretty new to brewing.. but i just used a auto-siphon for the first time and it makes siphoning a joy... always seemed like a pain to get the siphon started before.

Latest posts

Back