Kölsch question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I kegged my latest Kolsch-style Ale on Monday and sampled a few pints yesterday, after only three days at 36F, and they were already clearing and tasty. Something I could never say after fermenting with WLP-029 for years. This batch I fermented with Lalbrew Kolsch Style Ale dry yeast. I will have it on tap for a few parties planned for the end of June, and one keg will be short about a gallon of beer by then:coff1:.

I kegged my latest Kolsch-style Ale on Monday and sampled a few pints yesterday, after only three days at 36F, and they were already clearing and tasty. Something I could never say after fermenting with WLP-029 for years. This batch I fermented with Lalbrew Kolsch Style Ale dry yeast. I will have it on tap for a few parties planned for the end of June, and one keg will be short about a gallon of beer by then:coff1:.
Imperial "Dieter" supposedly is a Kolsch strain that exhibits very good flocculation, clearing without fining or filtering fairly quickly. I've got some Dieter but haven't had the chance to brew with it yet. My last Kolsch (WLP-029) took forever to clear and never got as clear as I wanted. In order to be called Kolsch in the City of Koln, the beer MUST be filtered. I seldom fine and haven't filtered (except wine) in years.

Anybody out there like to brew Kölsch? How long do you like to cold-condition?

Once upon a time this was my go to beer style...still love it just haven't brewed it in a while!

Mine usually fully cleared in 30 days...taste was on point by day 14.

I like the vinous white wine esters from GigaYeast 021.

I can never wait for perfect clarity, I don't use keg finings just Whirlfloc in the boil, but it is typically fairly clear by keg's end. The last one I made lasted 47d according to notes, but I have no notes on what the end was like.

I generally lager my kolsches for about four weeks. I use Lalbrew Koln dry yeast, and by that time, they are usually translucent, almost clear. By the time the keg is 1/3 to 1/2 gone, it is usually crystal clear. I wouldn't want it to be hazy, but I'm okay with it if isn't perfectly clear. I care more about the aroma, taste, and mouthfeel, and I feel that those are spot on.

Anybody out there like to brew Kölsch? How long do you like to cold-condition?
I have noticed the flavor seems to improve after a few weeks of cold conditioning on a Kolsch recipe but I wouldn't stress too much over it because although there are those who may think they're making real Kolsch, they're really not. A trip to Cologne, Germany will quickly show why....

DMF

Kolsch is my house beer! I brew it almost as much as every other beer. Placed 2nd in a local HB comp about a month ago.

My favorite is Wyeast 2565. I've used Imperial Dieter, K97, WLP029 at various temps all with good results, but I just prefer the Wyeast end product. Dieter is my second favorite, clean and crisp. I feel like WLP029 leaves it a bit too sweet. K97 is very bright, but it's a bit champagne like. White wine? Not sure how else to describe it.

Do yourself a favor and get Biofine Clear. Skip Gelatin. Biofine Clear will give you brilliantly crystal clear beer within a week (typically within a few days). I go from grain to glass in 3 weeks, but it does get better after a few weeks in the keg. 2 weeks primary, 1 week to carb. There is a fine line though. Kolsches are still better fresh. I would say the sweet spot seems to be 3-4 weeks in keg, but it's plenty fine to drink earlier. Most of my Kolsches are consumed within a month.

I would think you treat it like a lager, cold condition til its bright

I usually larger my kolsch for a few weeks.

But this time I did it pressurized at 10PSI and 68-70' ale temps. Will be trying it after only a few days cold crashing.

I use Giga021 exclusively for my Kolsch. I like it best after 4 weeks in the cold. I brew about 40 gallons of Kolsch a year. I can never keep it on tap. Too many tap sniffers stop by.
I'm planning on brewing a Kolsch in the next few weeks, probably will ferment with Imperial Dieter. What's your grain bill and hop schedule, if you don't mind my asking?

I'm planning on brewing a Kolsch in the next few weeks, probably will ferment with Imperial Dieter. What's your grain bill and hop schedule, if you don't mind my asking?
94% Pilsner
6% Wheat
17 IBU Crystal FW
7 IBU Crystal 15min
90 min boil

I try to use German Pils, but have been trying domestic the last few. I prefer BestMalz or Barke when I can get it. I ferment on the cold side for 3 days and let it rise to 70 over 3 days. Transfer to a purged keg and cold condition for a week or 2.
I have Dieter in the fridge, I plan to do a split batch and try it.

94% Pilsner
6% Wheat
17 IBU Crystal FW
7 IBU Crystal 15min
90 min boil

I try to use German Pils, but have been trying domestic the last few. I prefer BestMalz or Barke when I can get it. I ferment on the cold side for 3 days and let it rise to 70 over 3 days. Transfer to a purged keg and cold condition for a week or 2.
Thanks! I had hoped to brew it last week, but couldn't find the Weyermann German Pilsner which my spreadsheet/inventory indicated I had 14# of 'somwhere'. Neither could I find the 4 oz of Spalter Spalt that was also 'somewhere'. Then "life" got in the way (long, boring story).

So, the fallback position is to use Bohemian Floor Malted Pilsner, Hallertau Mitt, and hope it doesn't come out tasting like Pils or Helles.

Wheat, ferment temperature and yeast should help steer it towards Kolsch-like goodness. Come to think of it, I KNOW there's some Crystal in the beer fridge, and some Kolsch malt in the Vittle Vault. Looks like it's time to refine the recipe. Wish me luck.

Thanks! I had hoped to brew it last week, but couldn't find the Weyermann German Pilsner which my spreadsheet/inventory indicated I had 14# of 'somwhere'. Neither could I find the 4 oz of Spalter Spalt that was also 'somewhere'. Then "life" got in the way (long, boring story).

So, the fallback position is to use Bohemian Floor Malted Pilsner, Hallertau Mitt, and hope it doesn't come out tasting like Pils or Helles.

Wheat, ferment temperature and yeast should help steer it towards Kolsch-like goodness. Come to think of it, I KNOW there's some Crystal in the beer fridge, and some Kolsch malt in the Vittle Vault. Looks like it's time to refine the recipe. Wish me luck.
Floor Malted Pils and Hallertau are just fine. It won't taste like a Pils unless you use Lager yeast.

I used to use Bohemian and Spalter hops too. I started using Crystal when I didn’t have Spalter. Liked the results and kept on trucking with it. Bought a sack of Montana High Plains. That is what I’ll use next. All they had was Avangard, not a fan of that malt. Hope I like it, good luck with your brew day.

94% Pilsner
6% Wheat
17 IBU Crystal FW
7 IBU Crystal 15min
90 min boil

Knowing this is an ignorant question, I have to ask, what does "FW" mean?

Floor Malted Pils and Hallertau are just fine. It won't taste like a Pils unless you use Lager yeast.
Yep. My plan is to ferment with Deiter at a Koln/ale temperature profile. What are your thoughts on Weyermann Kolsch malt? I might sub a bit of the Floor Malted Pilsner with some of that, since I have about 10# on hand.

Yep. My plan is to ferment with Deiter at a Koln/ale temperature profile. What are your thoughts on Weyermann Kolsch malt? I might sub a bit of the Floor Malted Pilsner with some of that, since I have about 10# on hand.
Never used it. Never even heard of it until just now! Every recipe I've viewed online or spoke about with a brewer uses Pilsner malt. Whether it be German Pils, Floor Malted, Bohemian etc. I've only ever used Pilsner malt. Recently I've added in about 20% Vienna for a little extra malt flavor. So 75% Pils, 20% Vienna and 5% carafoam/carapils. Last batch I swapped out the carafoam for flaked wheat to see if I could improve the head retention, but that's currently carbing right now, so I don't have an honest opinion on it yet. I fermented Dieter at 58, then 65 for D rest. No off flavors whatsoever, but it needs to clear and carb.

Never used it. Never even heard of it until just now! Every recipe I've viewed online or spoke about with a brewer uses Pilsner malt. Whether it be German Pils, Floor Malted, Bohemian etc. I've only ever used Pilsner malt. Recently I've added in about 20% Vienna for a little extra malt flavor. So 75% Pils, 20% Vienna and 5% carafoam/carapils. Last batch I swapped out the carafoam for flaked wheat to see if I could improve the head retention, but that's currently carbing right now, so I don't have an honest opinion on it yet. I fermented Dieter at 58, then 65 for D rest. No off flavors whatsoever, but it needs to clear and carb.

For some reason I can't copy/paste the link from the Weyermann website. Just Google Weyerman Brewing Type Cologne. I used it once 2 years ago (100%) along with WLP029. The leftover malt has been stored under optimal conditions. I may try 50% FM Pils, 30% Cologne, 15% Vienna, 5% CaraFoam for the grist

It was a good/not great beer, mostly due to the yeast and maybe too cold of a fermentation. Pretty sure the hops were Spalt and Northern Brewer, just off the top of my head.

For some reason I can't copy/paste the link from the Weyermann website. Just Google Weyerman Brewing Type Cologne. I used it once 2 years ago (100%) along with WLP029. The leftover malt has been stored under optimal conditions. I may try 50% FM Pils, 30% Cologne, 15% Vienna, 5% CaraFoam for the grist

It was a good/not great beer, mostly due to the yeast and maybe too cold of a fermentation. Pretty sure the hops were Spalt and Northern Brewer, just off the top of my head.
I Googled it right before I responded. Very interesting, and I might have to try it out. I also Omega Kolsch II to try, which I haven't. Too many variables lol.

For hops, you should go noble. I use Tettnang exclusively.

Giga is long gone unfortunately. I’ve kept the 021 going. Thought I lost it when my freezer died and I lost my frozen bank. I had an old harvest in the back of my fridge. So glad I had it!
I did not know this. I'm stunned.
Ucking-fay ap-cray.
My last saved overbuild is from Dec 2021.

Next thing ya know I'll cut off my <> with a power tool fixing the hole where the meteor hit the barn.

Life sucks, then your favorite yeast goes away.

I did not know this. I'm stunned.
Ucking-fay ap-cray.
My last saved overbuild is from Dec 2021.

Next thing ya know I'll cut off my <> with a power tool fixing the hole where the meteor hit the barn.

Life sucks, then your favorite yeast goes away.
Covid got them too. They tried to roll with commercial pitches. I got an email and scooped some strains up before they closed. Thought it was cool that they made available with one last run. Loved everything of theirs I ever tried. I’ll keep 021 going

Latest posts

Back