Keg Filling Scale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VikeMan

It ain't all burritos and strippers, my friend.
Reaction score
Who uses a scale while filling kegs via closed transfer, to avoid overfilling? What scale do you use? Would you recommend that one? TIA!

[raises hand]

1675130219660.jpeg

I would recommend the scale (American Weigh Scale SE-50 Ship Elite) DIGITAL SHIPPING SCALE, 110 LBS X 0.1 OZ (SE-50) if the price was what I paid when I bought it, which was $28. It's now apparently double that - but I'm sure you could do better looking at their ample competition (there's no lacking of digital postage scales on the market).

It has a 110 pound max and a separable display - I highly recommend getting a scale that has a separable display as it makes it much more usable for weighing things (like grain bags, or large boxes or suitcases) that would cover a fixed display...

Cheers!

^ That looks perfect. Thanks!

I have the AWS SE-50, and it is a nice unit, but it shuts itself off relatively quickly if the weight is not changing fast enough. That was enough of an annoyance that I ordered this one, which has similar specs, but stays on indefinitely (if connected to the AC adapter.)

Brew on :mug:

I have the AWS SE-50, and it is a nice unit, but it shuts itself off relatively quickly if the weight is not changing fast enough. That was enough of an annoyance that I ordered this one, which has similar specs, but stays on indefinitely (if connected to the AC adapter.)

Brew on :mug:
+1

I use the same scale for weighing my co2 tank and it does the job very well. I use the AC adapter, but it also runs on batteries which could be useful at times.

I have a scale I'll occasionally use for closed transfers. Helps reduce risk when I know it's going to be close to overfilling. I use a postal scale which is surprising accurate. I have a 25KG calibrated weight and it was dead on when I first got it. I just weighed a keg full of starsan so I knew my limit. The hoses don't seem to have a large enough impact to throw off the readings.

Here's my scale, never had a problem with it auto shutting off.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076ZWTW7M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Back