Keg lid leaking after o-ring replacement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oujens

Reaction score
I recently bought a used AIH keg and am currently having sealing issues. The keg came under pressure (a LOT of pressure). I cleaned it up prior to replacing o-rings and was able to soak in oxiclean upside down with no leak out of the lid. Then I replaced the o-rings (ball lock kit from AIH) and now have a leaky lid no matter how I position the lid. It did not hold 14 psi of pressure. I'm puzzled why the old o-ring worked and the new o-ring will not seal the lid. Anybody have similar issues?

Additional info: This is a ball lock keg with a plastic gas dip tube. Looks to have been manufactured in 1995.

The old o-ring was probably formed and set by the lid years ago. High pressure helped to seal it, like inflating a tubeless tire.

Your new O-ring could be a little thinner than the old one, they sell slightly thicker ones at McMaster and elsewhere if need be.

With the new O-ring you have, put the pressure around 10-15psi. Then, with the bail open, spray the lid with Starsan and press down on the lid along the edge, on one side, and go around the lid pressing down until you see where bubbles come out. Once you know where the leaks are, relieve pressure and check the keg's inside rim and the lid's flange in those leaky areas for deformation, unevenness, burrs, deep scratches, etc.

It really helps to put some keg lube (or Vaseline) on every o-ring before use and after cleaning. Clean, sanitize, apply lube by massaging it into the rubber by running it between thumb and index finger, insert into lid, resanitize, and fit the lid. The O-ring makes the seal under pressure, not the bail.

I've had this happen. I've upped the CO2 pressure to 40 or so pounds and the increased pressure gets the seal to work, then just reduce the pressure to the desired amount once the o ring is seated.

Thanks for the responses. I guess I will grab some keg lube and up the pressure to see if that works. Didn't have this issue on my last two kegs, but I guess each keg will be different.

So I grabbed keg lube and put the keg back under pressure. I tested with star san and it was sealed. Even turned it upside down with water in the keg to verify no leaks. I have since filled it up with a lager which I pressured with 30 psi, tested for leaks, and now sits in my fridge for lagering unhooked from the co2 tank. I currently have two kegs (in addition to the keg in question) on tap which is max capacity. In the future, I plan to add more lines but cannot right now.

After one day of transferring the beer to the keg and sealing it up with 30 psi, I noticed I could apply some pressure to the lid and hear some hissing. I hooked it up to the co2 tank and it definitely filled up with co2. Now I do not hear hissing when I push down on the lid. Is this the result of the beer absorbing some co2, or do I still have a small leak? My star san test says no, but I'm not sure now. I am currently lagering at 35F. I think as long as its hooked to gas it won't leak. Does this sound right?

On another note, I noticed the keg lid handle is not as stationary as my other kegs when under pressure. It looks like the lid handle caps are worn and need to be replaced. I can wiggle the handle a bit on this keg where the others I cannot. While these caps are cheap, shipping is expensive relative to what you pay for the caps. Is there a cheaper solution at the box stores that I am not aware of?

Thanks

Loss of pressure is likely from absorption by the beer, although it doesn't rule out a small leak from forming again once the pressure drops. Once the beer is fully carbonated and set to say 12 psi, you should not lose pressure.
Keep a close eye on it, and next time you clean it, recheck that lid seal again.

This wasn't mentioned before, but tightening the bail can help to keep a touchy lid sealed. Put a penny (or another kind of shim) under the legs.

The rubber top/handle has nothing to do with sealing. I have a few that are a bit loose, so be it.
If there's an obviously very loose flopping area, people have glued them back down. It's the cleaning and degreasing (acetone) of both surfaces that's the most important, and hardest of course, before applying glue.

+1 to all that has been stated already.

If you find a problem area and all looks well yet it's still a slight leak, tap around the top (I would do this without beer inside) in the area of the leak with a rubber mallet.

I've done this with a few used kegs, they held pressure at higher psi but lower psi they would leak a bit. After "adjustments" were made with a rather large hammer, all is well.

Good luck.

Thank you for the reply. What I will do then is unhook one of my serving kegs and carb it up while I'm not serving beer to keep the seal going. I have room in my chest freezer for another keg, just not an available co2 line. Next on the list of upgrades...additional co2 line.

+1 to all that has been stated already.

If you find a problem area and all looks well yet it's still a slight leak, tap around the top (I would do this without beer inside) in the area of the leak with a rubber mallet.

I've done this with a few used kegs, they held pressure at higher psi but lower psi they would leak a bit. After "adjustments" were made with a rather large hammer, all is well.

Good luck.

I will look into this after the keg is empty. Thanks!

I've had the same thing happen. I tried all the tricks. Pennies under the sealing arms, silicone sealant, new I ring ginger pressure, adjusting the lid under slight pressure and nothing worked. Finally bought oversized oring from Williams brewing. Worked great with no more messing around. It was a little spendy with shipping but considering all the time and effort. It was well worth it

Another trick that I didn't see mentioned.

Place your lid in hot water on the stove for a few minutes before sealing it. Or hold under boiling water for about 30 seconds. This softens the rubber O ring, helps it make a better seal.

Latest posts

Back